PDA

View Full Version : Linking Forum With Homepage

Futterman
2005-05-15, 05:14 PM
Here's a quick one for Phil and Mike:

Put a simple link to http://www.nycaviation.com (the actual homepage) somewhere on the top of the forum. The "NYCAviation.com" image links directly to the forum index, but if I wanted to check out the news page or contact info I have to go and edit the URL.

It's no real hassle, just a minor inconvenience.

Brian

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-16, 02:10 PM
I think that is a great idea, and something I've actually been thinking about for a bit, as I've noticed that myself.

Maybe Mike can chime in and we can set that up. Shouldn't be too hard I don't think. :)

Mike
2005-05-16, 03:53 PM
Yeah, that's definitely a good idea and not difficult to implement at all. I'm thinking of a few ways to go about it though, so let me know which one you think works best.

We could make it so the NYCAviation.com image above goes back to the main site, but I know that I use it as an easy way to get back to the forum index and wouldn't want to inconvenience those who may use it for that purpose as well. But, that option is certainly possible.

Another idea would be to make the "NYCAviation.com" text at the top be a link back to the main site.

Yet another idea, though perhaps a bit more involved, is to allow you to customize where you want the NYCAviation.com image to go in your profile (with options such as the forum index, the main site, subsections of the main site, or subsections of the forum). That way, it'll cater to what is most convenient for each user.

Let me know what option you'd like the most. :)

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-18, 03:03 AM
Done. Click the logo at the top of the page, killa.

Thanks to Mike. :)

Futterman
2005-05-18, 09:21 AM
Nah, I'm not crazy about the image being the link.

I actually JUST clicked it with the intention of going back to the forum index, but I ended up on the front page.

I sound like such a hypocrite. haha

I think I liked Mike's idea to allow each user to customize the placement of this link. I'm sure we've all developed different habits in terms of navigating around the site, so as long as something as dynamic as a user-defined link is available, I think we should go for it.

If/when you revert back to the NYCA image on top directing the clicker to the forum index, I have an image to show you that may make it clear as to what'll happen when someone clicks on it.

A drop down menu (like A.net) is also something to consider (listing the homepage in addition to all the forums). It would, though, render the middle man that is the forum index almost useless.

Great developments, though. It's fun to see things change as you guys experiment with different things.

Brian

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-18, 11:17 PM
My own personal preference over the years on similar message boards is to use the "NYCAviation.com Forum Index" words that is under the logo to get to the forum index.

Also, using the logo to take you back to the home page is somewhat the industry standard on these sites as well.

I'd rather create such customization for some of the other features we are working on right now.