PDA

View Full Version : Planeview Park at LGA

rtrader
2005-05-09, 02:01 PM
Anybody been taking photos at Planeview park at LGA lately. Approached by any police for spotting there?

Futterman
2005-05-09, 02:08 PM
The last time I was there was a month ago, on April 10. I was there with Josh Akbar and my dad...a cop did roll up, but just to "say hi" and relax for a few minutes. No big deal.

Ther are occasional stores of excessive force at the park, figuratively speaking, but there really isn't anything to worry about. Go, have fun!

Brian

UrbanExplorer222
2005-05-09, 04:12 PM
I was there today for a few hours. 2 cops passed by and saw me, and kept going. I did have the groundskeeper for the park come up in a lil yellow cart telling me that i "cant take pictures" and that the cops would "take my camera" I gave him an attitude and he drove off. I told him that ive been stopped before and all that jazz...he just thought he was the enforcer for the day

LGA777
2005-05-09, 06:20 PM
Hi Bob welcome to the boards, one thing I keep hearing is when Air Force Two or some
other gov type VIP is coming in that's when there seems to be more problems, good luck buddy !

Ron Peel

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-09, 06:29 PM
90% of my times at Planeview go without incident.

But I've had a couple run-ins that were less than perfect. One time a PAPD officer demanded I leave, minutes after an NYPD officer insisted that I stay. I was leaving anyway, but I stood up for myself a bit.

SengaB
2005-05-09, 08:15 PM
I had a very minor encounter about 2 years ago at Plane View as well. I had been in the park just sitting there for about 30 mins and a NYPD explorer drives up and parks about 50 feet to my left. I keept shooing there the whole time and they didnt say a word. Eventually when they decided to leave they drive over and ask why I was taking pix. I told them and they said "oh ok". They then asked "why do you have to stick the camera through the fence" ((((((SIGH)))))))........then I gave them the classic idiot lesson on photography 101 and why fences are bad! They said great have a nice day and left. Didnt want to scare them and kept it simple!
Senga

T-Bird76
2005-05-09, 09:17 PM
I finally managed to make my way down today as well, unfortunately for me I got there to late and only got five shots before they changed runways. It was nice to meet Urbanexplorer, so not a total lose.

cancidas
2005-05-09, 11:19 PM
i've had a few run-ins with cops there, nothing major though.... usualy it depends on what agency stops you, and what credentials you have... 8)

USAF Pilot 07
2005-05-09, 11:22 PM
Planeview Park from what I've experienced and heard is usually pretty uneventful.
The PAPD cops don't really bother you (except in Phil's case), and the NYPD seems to know the deal with spotters most of the time.
I've never been approached or hassled at Planeview. (then again I don't have some fancy huge camera).

It's when you get closer to the runway, such as that little grassy area right behind the runway, that you can get into trouble.

About 4 years back, Phil and I went there and were just sitting, and got kicked out by PAPD cops (only after about 20 had passed us on the service road in front of us).

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-09, 11:35 PM
Yeah, that hill behind rwy 4 is MINT.

Matt Molnar
2005-05-09, 11:44 PM
I had a bad Planeview experience today...I was heading there for the first time in several months, and they switched to 22 when I was about 3/4 of the way there. That made me sad. :(

LGA777
2005-05-10, 10:29 AM
The grassy hill right behind 4 is very mint, but do to construction that area has been torn up for about 6 months and will probably be at least several months before they are done. That area is under PAPD control and I have been stopped and allowed to stay, other times told to leave even when I was in my uniform with LGA ID around my neck. For that location you are better off parking somewhere else and walking to it, even though you can park right there a vehicle draws unwanted attention to you being there.

LGA777

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-10, 10:32 AM
Yes, I've seen that it is torn up as well.

Honestly, that is one spot that I urge people to NOT go to. It is just too in-your-face with police cars passing by every few minutes and I can't imagine it NOT causing trouble, maybe even hurting the reputation of us hobbyists.

I've spoken to Port Authority officials about that hill in the past, and they've specifically asked me to not utilize that for spotting at all.

LGA777
2005-05-10, 10:43 AM
Phil, that's probably good advice, I did not realize the Port had informed you of that, point well taken !

LGA777

cancidas
2005-05-11, 09:59 AM
i agree with phil on this one, the hill may not be the best place for everyone to go to hang out. it's a little close to the action as far as the PAPD is concerned. i've been there a few times before the construction and have yet to be booted. it's just not a good idea for everyone to go there.

mirrodie
2005-06-01, 01:15 PM
Yeah, that hill behind rwy 4 is MINT.

Yeah, it's fresh and psych, isn;t it? ;)

just playing kid. ;);)

Its a toss up but JFK is great, with LGA and FRG a tie up.

Senga, dude, love the handle. best of luck on the mile high mission!

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-01, 01:23 PM
I can't believe you're even putting LGA and FRG in the same boat.

Mirrodie is the first person to be banned from the forums! :twisted:

IslipWN
2005-06-01, 04:02 PM
Am I the only one here who has never been to Planeview Park and doesn't even know where it is? lol I feel so left out when everyone talks about it but thats ok because I know where all of the good ISP spots are!

mirrodie
2005-06-01, 04:12 PM
I dunno Phil.

Derf might agree, FRG does have its fair share of wild stuff.

Has he ever shown you pics from FRG or the aircraft he's seen there?

Let me tell you...ITS UNBELIEVEABLE!

cheers,
Mario

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-01, 04:34 PM
I'm convinced that Derf is going to a completely different airport, or constructed a carbboard one in his home and tkaes those photos with models. lol

Not that LGA is a constant fireworks display, but the day to day traffic at FRG seems slow, but the special aircraft they get...yes... very exciting. :)

Matt Molnar
2005-06-01, 04:54 PM
What sort of special stuff comes into FRG that can make it anywhere near the level of LGA? If you like bizjets, LGA gets those too. And a plane every minute or so, rather than a couple per hour. :)

Derf
2005-06-01, 05:43 PM
Warbirds..... But I like LGA better.... I just do not know it as well

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-02, 12:03 AM
FRG gets a lot of weirdo aircraft that LGA just doesn't get as much, but I'll let some of the others show examples.

UrbanExplorer222
2005-06-02, 10:34 PM
they're gonna be voting soon whether or not to expand the taxi ways at FRG, so maybe if it does pass we'll be seeing bigger stuff!! :)

mirrodie
2005-06-03, 04:03 PM
Phil, shut yo mouth! Stop what are doing.

I just heard a drone of engines pass over my office. Some more INSaNE **** coming into FRG I reckon. :D

There's always something