PDA

View Full Version : HNL

Sick of the Six
2005-05-02, 10:14 PM
Would Honolulu International Airport be "safer" in comparison with other airports due to it's proximity to Hickam Air Force Base?

I'm asking because I fear flying, but I love Hawaii (been there twice in a seven month timespan using Continental's nonstop service from EWR).

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-02, 10:35 PM
Safe in terms of what?

It sounds like you're saying this under the assumption that most airport are NOT safe. That's the part that I would dispute.

I think most airports are safe. The only thing that a nearby AF base would do is maybe save time for scrambling fighters, which I don't think would be needed to protect an airport.

Sick of the Six
2005-05-02, 10:52 PM
Well, I mean safer in terms of the security around the airport which is my primary worry (the threat of a terrorist acquiring some sort of SAM equipment scares me, but I know it will probably never happen, knock on wood).

USAF Pilot 07
2005-05-03, 07:50 PM
I don't see how HNL's proximity to Hickam would make the airport any more safe.

The Air Force has little to do with the day-to-day operations of HNL.

They could scramble fighters, but if you're on the plane that's been hijacked you're probably going to get shot down anyway. Besides, by the time a fighter reaches you, at least over the Hawaii area, you will have probably already crashed into something.

In terms of flying out of HNL, just think of it logically. Not too many terrorists looking to do damage are probably going to fly out of HNL. I mean, you take off and then it's thousands of miles over water until you see land again. Not too much to crash into and not the most opportunistic place for a hijacking.

Sick of the Six
2005-05-03, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the assuring words... but I still don't think I can calm my nerves when flying even though I know it's safer than other forms of transportation.