PDA

View Full Version : AirTrain JFK impressions

Vlissengen
2005-05-01, 10:14 AM
Hello everyone. I'm come from TransitSpot to see what is going on. While I'm a full-fledged railfan, I decided to see what's going on here.

I'd like to know in a sort of combination air-rail question is what do you think of AirTrain JFK ever since it went into service in 2003. Do you think it serves the airport well? Do you think the $5 fare is justified? I've ridden it on at least 2 occasions and it's hilarious to see traffic on the Van Wyck. :lol:

USAF Pilot 07
2005-05-01, 01:36 PM
I like the AirTrain as a system, but the fact that it does not deliver a one-seat ride to Manhattan is definately a minus.

I'm also not too fond of paying $5 for a ride to the Middle of Queens, and then having to pay another $2 or whatever the LIRR fare is, to get to Manhattan.

Something I wouldn't mind seeing is the installation of MVM's at each AirTrain station.

For example, I often fly in on a red-eye from Denver, which arrives JFK at 5AM. At that time, most stores are closed, and the only place to get a Metrocard, along with it being the only place to get change for the bus, is Terminal 4. At an airport like JFK, that is unacceptable.

Speedbird1
2010-10-08, 05:19 AM
When the train is in service; it is very good. However, especially in the mornings and early afternoons, the free shuttle that's supposed to take riders around the airport is usually out-of-service forcing passengers who wish to go from T4 to T1 to ride back to Federal Circle, carrying heavy luggage, go upstaairs and catch the Airtrain coming from either Jamaica or from Howard Beach. This has happened numerous times. As a result, any time saved by avoiding the Van Wyck is lost. The only benefit is that you avoid the hefty parking fees which just went up in cost.

bluejuice
2010-10-08, 08:56 AM
As a daily user of the air Train for the past 6 yrs .I dont have to many complaints. Although this past month has been maintanence heaven for the Air Train as it is the "slow season " for passengers. The inner loop does have its share of issues but it is very rare when you have to travel to Federal circle to get to T1. I think the $5 fare is a little steep especially with the fare increases on the LIRR and MTA subways and busses.Its still cheaper then taking car service from Long Island but you do have to carry the bags..in as far as servicing the airlines it does the job bypassing all the arrival and departure traffic on the roadways. The only hassel is at the new T5 (Jetblue) its at least a 1/4 mile walk from the train to the terminal as it is situated behind the old T5. There are moving sidewalks but they tend to run less then the AirTrain. Hope this helps you out and welcome

T-Bird76
2010-10-08, 09:40 AM
The train is very reliable unlike what Speedbird professes...

cancidas
2010-10-08, 10:08 AM
i use it when commuting home from JFK after a redeye in from the west coast. honestly, i like it. it gets me to jamaica station where i transfer to the 'E' train to get home. sure $5 is still $5 but the ride isn't uncomfortable or exceptionally long either. while i don't use it every day i have yet to see a train out of service. it's also not crowded (surprisingly) in the early morning hours. and yes, $5 for the train and $2,25 for the subway plus about an hour of commute time is still a better way of getting home than a cab!

Zee71
2010-10-08, 10:27 AM
I use it every time I travel. To avoid paying the $5.00 charge, I typically get dropped off at the Lefferts Blvd stop and pick up the Air Train there. I too wish they would have a direct connection to Manhattan, as well as a direct run to LaGaurdia Airport. This would reduce so much traffic in my view on the Van Wyck. If Obama wants to create jobs.........extend the Air Train! All in all I think the Air Train is very good, I believe right now they doing some track replacement work.

hiss srq
2010-10-10, 06:44 PM
I think 5 dollars each way is a bit on the sharp side. As of late I use it several times a week from Jamaica as it is cheaper than the 2 dollars each way to cross the Atlantic Beach Bridge and than the 30 or so dollars it will cost me a day to keep my car parked at JFK while I am gone but when I do day trips 10 plus roundtrip on the LIRR and than 10 dollars round trip on the Air Train becomes a bit of a rip off..... If it was 2 dollars or even 3 dollars each way I would be more in favor of it but the entire MTA system is becoming a rip off.... This week I had to transit JFK airport 3 times... That was (considering peak and off peak depending on which day and when I needed to leave) 50 dollars roughly for the LIRR, than impute the Air Train and I spent 70 dollars this week alone..... I think that it is a touch over the top frankly.

Gerard
2010-10-10, 10:37 PM
I used it twice when I parked at the JFK Long Term Parking. First time wasnt so bad as I was flying solo but the 2nd time with my wife we came home on a Sat morning from West Palm and by the time we did the long haul from Jet Blue to the station they had limited service. Very annoying. Now we use SmartPark when flying out of JFK. Coming from LI its cheaper than using a car service/taxi and its is very fast when you drop your car and board the shuttle that takes you direct to your terminal. The same when you come home.

Cary
2010-10-11, 12:31 AM
If you guys think JFK's AirTrain is bad, EWR's AirTrain is $5.50 to go about 2,500 feet! I always thought it was a free transfer to the airport, since it's right there....apparently not :mad:

Speedbird1
2010-10-15, 08:07 AM
Did T-76 ever even ride the Air Train before noon? All I know is that the shuttle serving all terminals is excellent in the afternoon and evening. The problem is in the morning when you are forced to ride to Federal Circle or take a walk from T4 to T1 to save time. I feel sorry for passengers who have to carry luggage all-over the place. In all other respects, the AirTrain is great. It is clean, fast, efficient and seldom breaks-down; my only problem is in the mornings and early afternoon when the center track is closed. This has happened at least 90% of the time. Even the Port Authority agrees. They claim they are doing work on the tracks every morning.

NoGreenBox
2010-10-16, 02:19 AM
I have to say I also love the AirTrain. From my experience taking MTA from either BayRidge or Queens to Jamaica and then transfering, I have found it to be clean, efficent, and fairly easy to use. Now that I have done the walk from T3 at LHR to the Tube station, I dont mind any of the walking associated wtih JFK either.. In comparison its a piece of cake!

Chris

NLovis
2010-10-16, 02:39 AM
The Airtrain is alright. They recently replaced all the older tracks with some rusted loud rails. The train sounds like a train now whereas before it was very quiet. The train is reliable when operating properly, though sad to say they usually have a section down for repairs several times a week. The service is good but it is time for an system upgrade. Some actual shiny non rusted tracks would be a start. As far as paying goes I think $5 is on the high side. They could get away with $3 and be ok. The way i see it it is PANYNJ looking for another buck.