PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite restaurant in NYC?

IslipWN
2005-04-27, 12:00 AM
Whats your favoirte restaurant in New York city? Mine is probably the ESPN zone.

Joe

PhilDernerJr
2005-04-27, 03:06 AM
Blue Water Grill at Union Square or Rodeo Grill on 27th and 3rd.

both represent absolute insanity.

Bue Water Grill is the only place that's very trendy, but backs it up with good food. I hat trendy stuff, but this place has certainly earned its reputation. It is also worth the price. I recommend the soft-shell crab.

Rodeo Grill is where I took Ryan and Spencer, and they claim to have had a great time. My favorite steaks, skirt steaks, and my favorite beer, Yuengling, here. A steak inner costing you only $13.

This evening I was there again...dinner for two....bill came to $24.

Ryangooner
2005-04-27, 08:39 AM
I second you on that one Phil, The rodeo is a great little restuarant with a cute waitress!
The best steak i ever ate i think!

apart from those bloody dorritto's that broke my tooth!

Ryan

USAF Pilot 07
2005-04-27, 07:42 PM
The Rodeo is a great restaurant. Living 6 blocks away, I've been there many times...

In terms of good affordable restaurants, I really like Joey Paisano's down on Mulberry Street...

T-Bird76
2005-04-27, 10:39 PM
Blue Water Grill at Union Square or Rodeo Grill on 27th and 3rd.

both represent absolute insanity.

Bue Water Grill is the only place that's very trendy, but backs it up with good food. I hat trendy stuff, but this place has certainly earned its reputation. It is also worth the price. I recommend the soft-shell crab.

Phil your Dead on with Blue Water Grill, simply one of the best in New York. Everything about Blue Water is great. The food is second to known. The Chilean Sea Bass is better then sex, hehe. The jazz room is the place to take a date, and the neighborhood is fantastic. I used to work two buildings away from BWG, been there plenty of times.

There's another great restaurant on Vickers, I'll be dammed I can't remember the name but it serves BBQ. Nothing fancy but they have a great bar with over 100 selections of beer and the ribs are awesome!! Anyone knows the name let me know.

As for good Italian, Vincent’s in my book reigns supreme!! Then go over to Ferraro's for some good espresso.

Oh another great place, not in Manhattan but near Park Slope is Patios, its French. Perfect place to take a date, the back yard garden is really romantic. Food is fantastic too!!!

Matt Molnar
2005-04-28, 01:16 AM
Somehow I've never been to Blue Water Grill despite everyone telling me how great it is. I have to go ASAP.

Best restaurant for pretty waitresses: Couple doors down from Blue Water at Coffee Shop. The food is overpriced but decent...the waitresses are all models, literally. Models make awful waitresses and don't have much to talk about, but they're fun to look at. My business partner and I have had our weekly lunch meetings there for the past 4 weeks straight. :D

Best fancy schmancy place: 21 Club. Really nice, great food, really expensive without being super stuck up. Some of the patrons are, but the staff are really nice. The last time I was there a gentleman at the next table was telling his friends about his recent trip to the Maserati dealership with his daughter to buy her a car. Haa.

Best pizza: Grimaldi's. They now have a Garden City location for us eastern Queens and LI folk. It's still a million times better than any other pizza in the area, though still not exactly as good as the original in Brooklyn. I think it's the new oven.

Best Italian pastry shop: Veneiro's

Best odd ethnic food: Flor de Mayo (Peruvian food made by Chinese people) Amsterdam @ 83rd St next to Raccoon Lodge

Best tourist trap: Heartland Brewery

Best cheesecake: Junior's

Ok that's enough for now. :)

PhilDernerJr
2005-04-28, 01:34 AM
I went to Coffe Shop with Ryan and Spencer as well! Damn I showed them to some aweosm eplaces I guess, huh? lol

One of my bartender's also bartends at Cofee Shop on the lower level.

IslipWN
2005-04-28, 07:35 AM
Somehow I've never been to Blue Water Grill despite everyone telling me how great it is. I have to go ASAP.

Me too! I have never even heard of it until now! It sounds really good.

cancidas
2005-04-28, 01:36 PM
gotta be peter lugers!! they even have brooklyn lager on tap!

PhilDernerJr
2005-04-28, 01:43 PM
Cafe Deville on 13th and 3rd hs Brooklyn on tap, too. And a damn good hangar steak as well.

T-Bird76
2005-04-28, 07:23 PM
I went to Coffe Shop with Ryan and Spencer as well! Damn I showed them to some aweosm eplaces I guess, huh? lol

One of my bartender's also bartends at Cofee Shop on the lower level.

The Coffe Shop rocks, some really hot chicks wait at that place. We use to go there for lunch all the time, somehow we never paid much attention to the food. hehe

Hyder
2005-06-08, 08:25 PM
Greenfields in corona

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-04-08, 05:27 PM
I agree with Blue water Grill and Rodeo. Since park Avalon closed I feel Blue Water Grill has been even better!! You can't go wrong with any of the BR guest resturants as far as descent to great food with good decor and trendy scene. Atlantic grill, Blue water Grill, Isabella's, Dos Caminos, Vento, Ruby Foo's etc. Been to too many to list but some of my favorites that include good food, service, decor and ambiance are as follows.

Flor de sol is GREAT if you like spanish and tapas. Pipa is good as well. Blue Water grill, BLT Fish and Aquagrill ( I an a oyster lover) Spice market, Highline, and Kittichai for Thai and pan Asian. Sea is great though in BK. Flor de Sel, Cite has an all you can drink food pre-fix if you are into wine or want to start. Blue ribbon Sushi, Nobu, and Masa for sushi. But you can't beat those mini burgers at POP burger! Cheap as heck too, the drinks cost more than the food.

PhilDernerJr
2006-04-08, 05:43 PM
Good calls, SCOTYDEMCO. Welcome to the site!!

Idlewild
2006-04-22, 11:44 AM
Gray's Papaya on W 72nd and Bwy in Manhattan , Taro sushi on Dean street by Flatbush ave in Brooklyn and Tomasso on 86th street between 15th ave and 16th ave in Brooklyn. As for steaks, I must say that Old Homestead on w 14th and 9th ave and Sammy's Rumanian on Chrystie and Delancy are the best I've had anywhere in these here United States.

P.S. For great fried clams you must unfortunately go all the way up to Kennebunk, Maine and hit the Clam Shack.

Tb3772
2006-04-30, 12:50 PM
Is that the Gray's Papaya by Washington Sq park? I heard there is another Gray's also. Am I wrong?

<3 I am a hotdog fan.

Idlewild
2006-04-30, 07:51 PM
Is that the Gray's Papaya by Washington Sq park? I heard there is another Gray's also. Am I wrong?

<3 I am a hotdog fan.

There's a Grays on W 8th and Ave of Anericas and one sout of MSG on 7th Ave I believe. There might even be two more in the downtown area. W. 72nd holds a special place in my culinary heart because I went to Stevenson HS nearby and that particular Gray's was my favorite lunch spot. That and Nick's pizza. I'm curious have you tried the German dogs from Halo berlin? They have a cart in front of the Harvard club ( I think it's the Harvard club) on W. 55th a tad west of 5th avenue. Not bad stuff at all.

Tower Air
2006-05-29, 01:00 AM
What are some good pizza places in nyc

FlyKLM747
2006-10-08, 07:30 PM
For me, its....

- New Big Wong's, Great NY Noodletown, Fu Wong's, Congee's, Jin Fong's, Hop Kee, Joe's Shanghai, Pho Bang and a few others in Chinatown

- Silver Pond, Gum Fong's, Joe's Shanghai's, Flushing Noodle, Fortune House, Pho Bang, East Buffet, Chao Zhou's, Singa's Pizza, Daro's Pizza, Valentino's just to name a few in Flushing

- Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden.... :roll:

FlyKLM747
2006-10-08, 07:34 PM

To me, Singa's Pizza is the best !

http://www.singasfamouspizza.com

emshighway
2006-10-08, 08:13 PM

One of the original Singa's is in Elmhurst in a strip mall at 83rd Street & Broadway. A dozen years ago they had a fire and workers opened their own "Famous" Pizza at Whitney & Broadway. Great Indo-Pak Pizza (kinda like pan pizza with just about anything you want on it)

FlyKLM747
2006-10-08, 08:18 PM

One of the original Singa's is in Elmhurst in a strip mall at 83rd Street & Broadway. A dozen years ago they had a fire and workers opened their own "Famous" Pizza at Whitney & Broadway. Great Indo-Pak Pizza (kinda like pan pizza with just about anything you want on it)

Well, the location in Flushing on Kissena Blvd @ Cherry Av offers on Mondays and Tuesdays (except if these days falls on holidays) a special offer where you buy 2 pizza and get 1 plain free - I don't see this offer available at any of their other locations.... :wink:

emshighway
2006-10-08, 08:23 PM
Donovan Pub at 58 St/Roosevelt or Bell Blvd/41st Ave - Burgers or Shepard's Pie

El Sitio - 69St/Roosevelt - Cuban Sandwiches

Famous Ray's Around the corner from St. Vincents on Ave of the Americas - Pizza

Planet Thai in Greenpoint - Hibachi beef

Peter Luger's - Northern Blvd - The only thing they serve.

Ruth's Chris - Old Country Road - Steaks, Onion Rings, Creme Brulee

emshighway
2006-10-08, 08:25 PM
Well, the location in Flushing on Kissena Blvd @ Cherry Av offers on Mondays and Tuesdays (except if these days falls on holidays) a special offer where you buy 2 pizza and get 1 plain free - I don't see this offer available at any of their other locations.... :wink:

Cool. Yea they franchised. The one on 107 in Hicksville is good also.

Mellyrose
2006-11-25, 07:31 PM
For a cheap and FANTASTIC chinese meal, check out the Excellent Dumpling House on Lafayette Street (between Canal and Walker). Try as many variations of dumplings as you can, and share the mixed dumpling soup with someone you love. ;)

The fried pork dumplings are probably my favorite.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-25, 07:34 PM
I used ot eat at the Excellent Dumpling House all the time when I worked two blocks away in 1999.

I was excited when I went back and saw that the food was still great. I'm a lot more daring and open to try differnet foods so I ate things that I wouldn't have eaten there 7 years ago.

Most importantly, I want to point out that Mel and I ate a very filling dinner for two there....and the bill came to $20 and change (including tip).