Thread: TWA Hotel cracks down on spotters ( article)

TWA Hotel cracks down on spotters ( article)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new..._join#cxrecs_s

I had a feeling this would happen....

"One thing they don’t always do is spend a lot of money—and now the hotel is cracking down. Management last week instituted new fees of $25 to access the pool deck on weekdays and $50 on weekends. Alternatively, a seat at the bar now comes with a $50 minimum tab"

"With the deck often filled to capacity on weekend nights, the hotel wants to tamp down some behaviors, like hobbyists who have spent entire days on the roof, lugging their gear and ordering nothing but a soda."
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Well .... it was only a matter of time before the young entitled spotters ruined it for everyone else. Think about ... it’s the same reasoning when you get invited to go to a BBQ, you shouldn’t go empty handed. You should bring something for the BBQ. When you go to the hotel and are going to spend a whole day or a few hours shooting up there, it only makes sense to spend some money on a meal or drink (soda, beer or whatever) to quench your thirst. I did witness a spotter bringing in his own water and food. Like a restaurant or a pizzeria, you shouldn’t bring food from the outside. Some individuals forget they are guests at an establishment. I think the fee for the weekend is over the top, but it should be a lesson learned to those young spotters whom thought the TWA Hotel rooftop observation deck was their new playground! Now they can go back to their playground at the mounds. Also, I’ve witnessed other spotters doing the right thing, they spent money on food, drinks and were very civilized as they enjoyed their passion for spotting. I hope these individual realize what they did, since it impacted a whole community of spotters, and not just the local ones like myself.
    Last edited by Zee71; 2019-08-03 at 11:23 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

This wouldn't happen if JFK had a spot or 2 dedicated for spotting as so many international airports have. In past years, I was humiliated & was forced to leave while taking photos from behind glass in terminals & through fences. JFK truly does not want spotting. I was often told to leave the T5 rooftop by Allied Barton. I have no car & had a bad stroke sothe Mounds is not an option for me. My old spot off Rockaway Blvd by 22L landing lights has been fenced-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    This wouldn't happen if JFK had a spot or 2 dedicated for spotting as so many international airports have. In past years, I was humiliated & was forced to leave while taking photos from behind glass in terminals & through fences. JFK truly does not want spotting. I was often told to leave the T5 rooftop by Allied Barton. I have no car & had a bad stroke sothe Mounds is not an option for me. My old spot off Rockaway Blvd by 22L landing lights has been fenced-off.
    Back in the 70s and early 80s, there was an elevated Observation Deck at JFK open to spotters and anyone else who wanted a nice view. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think it was by the old Control Tower and/or the IAB. Also not sure, but there may have been a small charge to go out on the deck. Perhaps a dime? But anyway, I remember going there 2 or 3 times as a kid. And it was definitely memorable! Oh to have that back! Yeah, they could do that today if they really wanted to.