Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach, NY May 25th & 26th

2 solos just finished at jones beach.

Only 5 and 6 did circles today...any chance we get 1-4 up before the storms?

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I don't know that's it's just the runway length - although if it is shorter than their minimums, I can see they not wanting to spend the time and energy trying to get a waiver. Didn't one of the Blue Angel jets spend weeks at FRG following the show a couple of years back after fodding an engine? I know the last time the Snowbirds were at the show, I heard Lead refuse to taxi back on the taxiway east of 1/19 because of loose pavement on the taxiway. If there is other stuff going on, beyond just runway length, it may all go into their choice.
    Thats totally fair. I just made another comment to this effect on a separate post...if FRG just doesnt work for them for bona fide operational reasons, then fine. We cant complain. That said, I think whats really triggering me here is the idea that they are not being more public friendly at ISP. Not saying they have to park at arms reach and yes, we are a bit spoiled when the Blues are at the terminal at FRG. But there has to be a happy medium somewhere, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
    Not saying they have to park at arms reach and yes, we are a bit spoiled when the Blues are at the terminal at FRG. But there has to be a happy medium somewhere, right?
    Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
    I’ll give you that they may not want to violate their stated minimums for runway length. OK, if that’s a hard rule, so be it.
    What is their stated minimum runway length? These are the technical specs for an F-16:

Takeoff Distance (F-16A) 1,750 ft (535 m) with 4,000 lb (1,815 kg) external load
    Landing Distance (F-16A) 2,650 ft (810 m) with 4,000 lb (1,815 kg) external load

I'm assuming those are minimums, which means full A/B, but FRG has two asphalt runways: 14/32 is 6,833 by 150 feet (2,083 x 46 m) and 1/19 is 5,516 by 150 feet (1,681 x 46 m). Either one is double those stated specs of the aircraft...

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
    What is their stated minimum runway length? These are the technical specs for an F-16:

Takeoff Distance (F-16A) 1,750 ft (535 m) with 4,000 lb (1,815 kg) external load
    Landing Distance (F-16A) 2,650 ft (810 m) with 4,000 lb (1,815 kg) external load

I'm assuming those are minimums, which means full A/B, but FRG has two asphalt runways: 14/32 is 6,833 by 150 feet (2,083 x 46 m) and 1/19 is 5,516 by 150 feet (1,681 x 46 m). Either one is double those stated specs of the aircraft...
    When the Thunderbird slid off the runway 2 years ago I saw 6,000-8,000 was required in wet conditions. Couldn't find anything more specific about what they require. However their support manual states that if the runway is less than 7,000 feet it must have arresting gear. So for Replublic we're talking what 167 feet short?
    Glenn

The Super Hornet Demo is scheduled to fly twice on Friday so that both F-18 crews can practice their demos at Jones Beach!

Anyone have times for tomorrow? Definitely interested in seeing both Hornet demos. I'm guessing the first will go up around 11:30-12? Thanks in advance and hope you all enjoy the weekend!

Yes, I heard one of the Super Hornet Demos is scheduled for around 11:30 but not sure when the other will be yet.

The Show organizers announced on Facebook that they will not be releasing any type of flying schedule except that the Thunderbirds are scheduled to perform at 2:00PM.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Also FYI The Meadowbrook Parkway only has two lanes open near the old toll booth due to construction. It will cause delays getting down to the show.

Wantagh Parkway has all 3 lanes open
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Thunderbirds 1-4 going up at 10
    Glenn

No Golden Knights today due to wind
    Glenn

Super Hornet practice demo this morning reminded me of one from a few years ago. If there are "high shows," this one would be called a "far show."

Was a bit out there, I'm guessing due to the winds out of the north.

Nice to watch, not great for photography, but that's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    The Show organizers announced on Facebook that they will not be releasing any type of flying schedule except that the Thunderbirds are scheduled to perform at 2:00PM.
    So... The Air Force's premier demo team & PR machine won't fly out of the airport that hosts an awesome museum, won't have a viewing area at the airport they ARE staging out of, and won't even release any kind of schedule... nice... notQ! ... and this coming from someone with a LONG history of Air Force in the family, who would have joined himself if not for being denied due to diabetes...