Thread: End of an era

Thumbs down End of an era

Sad to announce the end of El Al B744 service to JFK on Oct. 25, after decades. They will be replaced by the smaller & cheaper B789s. Qantas has already made the changeover. The B789s have less seating & are more cramped but have more amenities + only 2 engines to feed. Sad to see them go.po

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Sad to announce the end of El Al B744 service to JFK on Oct. 25, after decades. They will be replaced by the smaller & cheaper B789s. Qantas has already made the changeover. The B789s have less seating & are more cramped but have more amenities + only 2 engines to feed. Sad to see them go.po
    Well...that was simply the inevitable outcome, from the moment they ordered their Dreamliners (which look very nice, btw!). They stopped putting money into the 744s a while ago, aside from regular maintenance. What I don't get is the "downsizing". I'd have expected them to switch over to the 777, maybe even the 777x.

El Al wisely extended using their remaining B744 fleet until January as they don' t have enough B789s yet. My friend disliked their Dreamliner; said all the windows were darkened and seating was cramped in economy.