Thread: JFK 2/28/2018 Spotting at Bayswater Point State Park

JFK End of Feb / 2018 Spotting at Bayswater Point State Park

Hello, Everyone

I'm new here, thanks for accepting my registration, gonna visit JFK for spotting at the end of this month. after check various recommendation, I believe the Bayswater Point State Park is where I'm gonna be at, it seems like ride the "A" train to the Far Rockaway - Mott Av, and just walk to the park? if the weather permits that day, I might arrive there in the late afternoon, and stay there till at least 1600 ~ 1700.

Hope to meet up few more regulars, if anyone gonna be there that day, please stop by and say Hi

thank you

RX
    Last edited by rx78; 2018-02-14 at 02:01 PM.

I havent done any study on plane schedule yet, but yesterday while I was checking the Flightradar24 around 1700, the CI cargo was ready to departure at the time, I wish to catch that one on the 28th. :)

Hi RX78: welcome. Bayswater Point State Park is useful when they use 31L/13R for landing and take off, or 22s for take off, or 4s for landing. The actions on 31R/13L is too far. If you plan to take pictures, the park is good for the morning for the 4/22 actions but you will be against light in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ View Post
    Hi RX78: welcome. Bayswater Point State Park is useful when they use 31L/13R for landing and take off, or 22s for take off, or 4s for landing. The actions on 31R/13L is too far. If you plan to take pictures, the park is good for the morning for the 4/22 actions but you will be against light in the afternoon.
    thank you for the info, I will bring appropriate equipment for the shooting :)

RX

Hello RX,
    Sorry can't spot with ya on 28th as I'll be away. Hope other local NYC spotters get to meet up.
    I don't come down to JFK that often, however do recommend if able try UN weekend..... lots of exciting traffic and atleast 50+ spotters :-)

All the best and sunny skies!!
    Regards

Raj C
    Will be there tomorrow with Keishi San!
    PS: http://www.nycaviation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50486

Quote Originally Posted by CX777 View Post
    Hello RX,
    Sorry can't spot with ya on 28th as I'll be awa....
    thank you, will yall gonna be at Bayswater park ? or yall gonna be at multiple spots ?

RX

Welcome aboard, RX! Glad to see you made it here!

Quote Originally Posted by rx78 View Post
    Hello, Everyone

I'm new here, thanks for accepting my registration, gonna visit JFK for spotting at the end of this month. after check various recommendation, I believe the Bayswater Point State Park is where I'm gonna be at, it seems like ride the "A" train to the Far Rockaway - Mott Av, and just walk to the park? if the weather permits that day, I might arrive late morning or after lunch, and stay there till at least 1600 ~ 1700.

Hope to meet up few more regulars, if anyone gonna be there that day, please stop by and say Hi

thank you

RX
    Just an FYI it's about a 20 block walk from the A train stop in Far Rockaway to Bayswater Park. Also if you are carrying expensive equipment with you it's not a good idea.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    Just an FYI it's about a 20 block walk from the A train stop in Far Rockaway to Bayswater Park. Also if you are carrying expensive equipment with you it's not a good idea.
    Thank you, between the train stop and park, I might get a uber, for the “not a good idea” , is it for the area? Or the park ? Should I seeking some friend accompany with me?

Thank you

RX

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Welcome aboard, RX! Glad to see you made it here!
    Thank you, I’m looking forward to visit there :)

RX

Welcome RX

Hopefully you'll have great weather and hopefully they'll be using the 4s. A 100-400mm lens on a cropped sensor body should be just fine. As far as shooting 13L/31R arrivals from Bayswater, I say forget about it, even with a long lens that has reach such as a 500mm or 600mm. You're photo's will be distorted and really unusable. The morning light at Bayswater is terrific if they are on the 4s. The light doesn't cross over the 4s/22s till around 2pm or thereafter. Happy hunting!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Welcome RX

Hopefully you'll have great weather and hopefully they'll be using the 4s. A 100-400mm lens on a crop....
    thank you, so May I ask in this way, how often has the 4s runway been used ? I've been watched the jfk flight for last few days, it seems like the 13/31 is the most frequent runway. if that's the case, I might gonna move to different spot and have better chance.....

RX

thanks everyone's tip, comment, and info, I went to the park mentioned above, also went to college point for LGA also, just quickly select through my photos today, sadly due to the distance, even 856 can't acquire top notch quality photos, I will visit another spot when I visit NYC next time. :)

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7DyMGC

Last edited by rx78; 2018-03-01 at 02:38 AM.

Glad it worked out for you. Looks like you got some good stuff at JFK...which reminds me, I need to get back there for a day of spotting.