Thread: JFK - 12/25/2017

JFK - 12/25/2017

I was up to NY for a few days for Christmas. On Christmas day, before heading to family dinner, I stopped by Costco for a little spotting. Ran into Kaz, Eric, and Len, and caught a few goodies...

Turkish Cargo A330F

Korean Air Cargo 777

JetBlue A321

AeroMexico Connect E-190

Air China 748

On Christmas Eve, on my way into town, I took a lap around JFK and got a couple of shots of the new TWA Hotel going up next to T5.

Nice set John! Happy New Year.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Wow, that hotel is sure going to look butt-ugly shoved up right against TWA like that. I didn't know that's what was planned. Seems very out of place...

Some nice birdies you caught there Moose

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Wow, that hotel is sure going to look butt-ugly shoved up right against TWA like that. I didn't know that's what was planned. Seems very out of place...
    Renderings have been out there for a long time. The most recent ones are here https://www.twahotel.com/
    The original Saarinen building and the tubes are landmarked (and re-using it is the whole point of the hotel's aesthetic), so it can't be touched, but the later additions like the baggage claim wings weren't and are removed. The rest of the site's footprint is where the hotel goes, and it wasn't exactly a huge space to begin with, which was one of the terminal's problems! The viewsheds from pretty much anywhere accessible on the airport to Saarinen are retained, with the exception of the AirTrain-T5 connector, though it's mostly unwindowed anyway. The right side wing will block the view from the T4 A-concourse, though I think the T5 ramps already obscured most of it.
    Last edited by Mateo; 2018-01-12 at 01:48 AM.