Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C97 at FBF Ready to Fly

C97 at FBF Ready to Fly

I'm hearing from a number of sources on Facebook including the Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation page that the C-97 Stratofreighter that has undergone extensive renovations and repairs at the Historic Aircraft Restoration POroject hangar in Floyd Bennett Field is finally ready and will be going airborne this Wednesday May 31 at 4PM weather permitting!! This would be great to witness. Will keep all informed if I hear anymore or if anyone else hears anything!!

Great !!!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

I stopped by there this afternoon, and spoke with one of the senior guys on the team (we've known each other for years) and he confirmed Wednesday afternoon, conditions permitting. When I asked him about the schedule - I mentioned 3 or 4 pm, and he said that's a little tricky, and that to be safe, I might want to be there by 1pm. Looks like I'm going to need to have a chat with the boss on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I stopped by there this afternoon, and spoke with one of the senior guys on the team (we've known each other for years) and he confirmed Wednesday afternoon, conditions permitting. When I asked him about the schedule - I mentioned 3 or 4 pm, and he said that's a little tricky, and that to be safe, I might want to be there by 1pm. Looks like I'm going to need to have a chat with the boss on Tuesday.
    Yes please do!! I was going to get there around 3 but now.......

Regards,
    Bill

Are they flying it to Ocean County Airport in Toms River, NJ ??

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Are they flying it to Ocean County Airport in Toms River, NJ ??
    Thats what Im hearing. Hopefully we get a definite departure time but I'll be there by 1 and just relax.

One of the flight crew on FB said anytime beyween 1 and 4. I can get my walking in when I get there early!! If you see a tall guy with salt and pepper hair walking around the Field it'll be me lolol

Was hoping to catch the C-97 departure today. She taxied out to the runway but the lady had a problem with engine number 3. Supposedly it was a carburetor issue which they hope to resolve today and then try to fly out tomorrow. Hopefully they'll schedule her departure for late afternoon.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Was hoping to catch the C-97 departure today. She taxied out to the runway but the lady had a problem with engine number 3. Supposedly it was a carburetor issue which they hope to resolve today and then try to fly out tomorrow. Hopefully they'll schedule her departure for late afternoon.
    Mark nice to meet you today!! Yes we came so close to seeing the departure but I'm glad they aborted when they did because I was ready to fall off that hill lol. Haven't seen anything on their Facebook page about trying again tomorrow. I guess we're get a better idea in the morning. As of now I have nothing tomorrow so I'll probably head back.
    BTW when I left they had opened up the road that goes down to HARP so I took a ride past to get a look then turned around to head out and who do I see riding past on her bike? I think she was still talking to herself.

According to their Facebook page as of 9:20 here is no timetable yet for today. They are still working on the problem and if its gets fixed they will try again.

Just posted "It's a go" but no Timeline

As of 12:10 takeoff within the hour. Oh well I'll never make that even if traffic was good!!

Flight scrubbed again.Was watching a feed of them taxing then heard nothing which gave me pause that something was going on.