Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C97 at FBF Ready to Fly

From my source at FBF and a post on the Berlin Airlift FB page it looks like it's going to be awhile before a takeoff is attempted again. Months most likely.

Moose .... awesome shots, and it was a pleasure meeting you Gerald as well. Hopefully the motor mouth gal rode off quietly into the sun set yesterday. Will have to stay tuned in for when she'll be ready to depart again.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thanks, Mark! Good to see you as well. I'm hearing they will replace the carb on #3, then they need to coordinate with half the western world again on a departure date/time. Most of the flight crew is from out of town, so their schedules will need to align, plus they are bringing the C-54 to Reading this weekend. I heard it will be a few weeks, at least, before they try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Hopefully the motor mouth gal rode off quietly into the sun set yesterday. Will have to stay tuned in for when she'll be ready to depart again.
    Who's ready to depart again, bike girl or the C -97 lolol
    John I heard months rather than weeks. I hope your're right.
    Where do they hangar the C-54?

Latest I heard that they wont be allowed to use the Runway till November as per US Park Service

The C-54 is supposed to be on display down here next weekend. I'll have to talk to the guys if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    The C-54 is supposed to be on display down here next weekend. I'll have to talk to the guys if I can.
    Its a different C-54. According to Kevin on FB they hope to be trying again the first week of November.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Its a different C-54.
    No, it isn't. They got a new paint job a year or so ago, so it's silver/grey, not the white it used to be.

I stopped by Concord Regional Airport today to see the C-54 - the Berlin Airlift Veterans Association is having their annual reunion in Charlotte this week. I had a chance to talk with Tim Chopp, president of the BAHF, and he said they are on target for Monday, November 6 to fly the C-97 out of FBF. If that looks like a firm date, I may need to figure out a way to come up for it...

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    No, it isn't. They got a new paint job a year or so ago, so it's silver/grey, not the white it used to be.
    My mistake I meant the C-97. I got my math wrong.
    And November 6 is a good date fior me for the proposed launch. But iof course being retired all dates look good. Hope you can make it up here.
    Last edited by Gerard; 2017-09-28 at 08:39 AM.

Well I unfortunately already know I will not be able to miss work for this so you gents better get some nice snaps of the event

According to their FB page they are looking at Monday November 6 for a departure from Floyd Bennett. No time listed as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    According to their FB page they are looking at Monday November 6 for a departure from Floyd Bennett. No time listed as yet.
    Because of forecast poor weather tomorrow the departure has been rescheduled for Tuesday at 11AM.

And we have LIFTOFF!! Didnt make it down as they changed the departure from 11:30 till after 10. It actually safely took off around 10:40 or so heading down the Jersey Shoreline at 1500ft to Ocean County Airport for a refuel. There is a chaser plane with them. Just watched the whole thing on Facebook Live and it was an awesome sight to see it fly!!

LIFTOFF it was! The C-97 finally made her glorious departure off RWY 6. Here are my grabs. Enjoy!

The chase plane T-34

Last edited by Zee71; 2017-11-07 at 03:11 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet