Thread: This Week's NYCAviation Website Disruption

This Week's NYCAviation Website Disruption

All,

Earlier this week, NYCAviation experienced only its 2nd website disruption in our 14 year existence. Our site was the victim of an attack that caused 55 hours of downtime, as well as Facebook Page disruption, which of course shows no sign of affecting the security of any of our members or readers.

We came into 2017 with the goal of growing our site and organization exponentially to cater to our enthusiast roots. This included building new features, expanding our team, and rebuilding our highly customized, aging site. The customization that we built 6 years ago is what led to the vulnerability, and learning from this, we took the opportunity of the outage to rebuild the site according to the industry's best practices, which we were already working on anyway. We are now as strong and safe as could be, with added back-end features that will allow our team to better serve you.

The same way that we have not been NYC-only in a decade is the same way that we are also so much more than a "blog." It is also how the "we" is not just referencing our team, but also you. We are a news source. We are a consulting organization. We are an advocacy group. We are an aviation photo database. Most importantly, we are an AvGeek community, and we are disclosing these details because we want you all to feel a sense of ownership over what we do and we want you to feel at home here. For that purpose, I will not bullpoop you about what is OUR community.

Thank you all for your readership, patience and trust. Please feel free to ask us any questions at all about us, what we do, or how we do it.

-Phil Derner
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks for the update Phil, some crazy interwebs stuff happening this week. Makes me miss Internet 1.0.......sometimes