Thread: Samaritan's Purse DC-8-72 KSWF pics

Samaritan's Purse DC-8-72 KSWF pics

Greetings,
    I took a quick drive up to SWF to get some shots of the Samaritan's Purse DC-8-72. This was one of the more recent classics that I had my sights on. I am glad to finally get this one into the collection. I had strongly considered driving down to GSO after I shot the Spanish Air Force 707 at Norfolk last summer but figured it would hit our area at some point. I am quite pleased it hit SWF.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2017-05-11 at 09:18 PM.

Very nice, Senga! I keep meaning to find when it's operating into/out of GSO and get up there to shoot it.

Thanks John,
    I ran into some of the people that work with the aircraft and operations and they told me I just missed a chance to get inside the aircraft.........

Unfortunately they had just started getting ready to go when I got there. Do you know if its shootable on the ground usually at GSO? Now if I can just get the NASA DC-8 I will be set. They departed KGSO-GOOY (Dakar Senegal) This morning.

BTW the callsign over the radio was "Sampurse Eight" (NSP8). I was glad to finally hear what their callsign is.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2017-05-12 at 12:17 PM.

I'm not sure what the situation is at GSO - I haven't been up there since they got the jet. I have a friend who got to ride along on a trip with them out of GSO, I've been meaning to ask him about shooting it. I'll let you know what I find out.

Wow ... great catch and nice light too. Given the age of the bird she looks fantastic!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thanks Mark,
    It could possibly be my shot of the year. We will see. I did not think I would get another new DC-8 after getting VP-BHM a few years ago at EWR. I wonder if we might even see another one crop up before all is said and done.

Senga

If I didn't know any better I'd say it looks brand new from the Douglas Aircraft Co

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    If I didn't know any better I'd say it looks brand new from the Douglas Aircraft Co
    They put a few bucks into prepping it before they put it into service. It just flew into CLT tonight - landed just after 11pm, from Cape Verde. I'm not sure why they didn't go directly to GSO, maybe Customs availability? I'm just hoping they wait until morning to head back home so I can run down to the airport to see if I can get a shot while it's here.

I too noticed it was exceptionally clean.
    John,
    I would have assumed GSO had 24/7 customs. Maybe they flew into CLT to drop off the people they picked up from SWF (if there isn't a flight from GSO to SWF for them) The people I talked to at SWF said something about flying on a 737 into SWF originally.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2017-05-15 at 04:59 AM.

Aaaahhhh! A flying passenger DC-8!! Great pics!