Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleet Week 2017

Fleet Week 2017

http://militarynews.com/app/fleetweeknewyork/

This will be my first year i will get the opportunity to go down to Battery Park/Battery Park City to see the ships come into the Harbor!! From past Fleet Weeks can anyone give me an ETA when they pass under the VZ and enter the Harbor. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    http://militarynews.com/app/fleetweeknewyork/

This will be my first year i will get the opportunity to go down to Battery Park/Battery Park City to see the ships come into the Harbor!! From past Fleet Weeks can anyone give me an ETA when they pass under the VZ and enter the Harbor. Thanks all.
    FYI- When I went into see the Fleet Week NYC Parade of Ships back in 2011 the ships started
    to pass under the VZ Bridge just before 10AM and lasted for about an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    FYI- When I went into see the Fleet Week NYC Parade of Ships back in 2011 the ships started
    to pass under the VZ Bridge just before 10AM and lasted for about an hour.
    Thanks Chris. That's about an earlier than I thought but its a good heads up. I put in a post on the Fleet Werk Facebook page and they said they would have times finalized in a few weeks

Good to see the Marine CH-53 Sea Stallion, MV-22 Osprey and AH-1W Cobras along
    with the Navy Helicopters and Leap Frog Parachute Team and Helicopter will be
    landing again this year at Eisenhower Park on Sat., May 27th for Fleet Week also.
    Here's the link:

https://patch.com/new-york/eastmeado...isenhower-park

Good to see the Marine CH-53 Sea Stallion, MV-22 Osprey and AH-1W Cobras along
    with the Navy Helicopters and Leap Frog Parachute Team and Helicopter will be
    landing again this year at Eisenhower Park on Sat., May 27th for Fleet Week also.
    Here's the link:

https://patch.com/new-york/eastmeado...isenhower-park
    Always a great time!! Leap Frogs jump then their helicopoter lands. After they leave the Marines invade and they usually make a loud entrance!! All the big aircraft are open to walk through and pilots and soldiers all available for conversation and pictures!! Last year we had a surprise visit by Northwell Health SkyHealth medevac copter. They landed on an adjacent field. As a Rotorhead this is klike Xmas for me!!

Here's the link for the full schedule of Aviation Events during Fleet Week New York 2017:

http://militarynews.com/app/fleetwee...FWNY_17-04.pdf

Here's the latest press release posted today for the Parade of Ships tomorrow that starts At 8AM.

http://militarynews.com/app/fleetwee...FWNY_17-08.pdf

Here's the latest press release posted today for the Parade of Ships tomorrow that starts At 8AM
    http://militarynews.com/app/fleetwee...FWNY_17-08.pdf
    Thanks Chris. Hearing the early start from you and the Fleet week FB page I caught a 7:30 train and was down at the Battery by 8:50. They started coming across the Harbor around 9:15 and got great views of the USS San Jancito, a missile-guided cruiser and the USS Kearsage the amphibious assault ship along with a CG Cutter and a Canadien defense vessel. The best spot though to watch is under the VZ as a number of ships dock in Staten Island or
    Brooklyn. Next year, hopefully, Im going to settle in over there!! Not sure how parking is. I know there is a small lot along the Belt but Im figuring thats probably packed.

Glad you got in there yesterday to see the Parade of Ships.
    Yeah, just north of the VZ Bridge on the East side by that small parking along
    the Belt is a great location to get pics as the ships pass under the bridge.

Glad you got in there yesterday to see the Parade of Ships.
    Yeah, just north of the VZ Bridge on the East side by that small parking along
    the Belt is a great location to get pics as the ships pass under the bridge.
    Yes I've parked there a few times!! When I got off there train at Hicksville yesterday an Osprey came over from the NE and later saw a MH-53 low. From what I could tell looked like they were going over to Eisenhower Park to scout the LZ. That still continues to be one of the big highlights oif the weekend for me.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Anybody know which of the ships have helicopters embarked? Obviously the Kearsage does, but either of the cruisers in Brooklyn or the destroyer on Staten Island?

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Anybody know which of the ships have helicopters embarked? Obviously the Kearsage does, but either of the cruisers in Brooklyn or the destroyer on Staten Island?
    I was talking to one of the pilots of the Super Cobra at Eisenhower Park today and they came in from Teterboro and I know from a PD friend at FBF the Navy copters were stationing at PD Aviation Base during Fleet Week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    The cruisers in brooklyn dont, was there on friday

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by emk1219 View Post
    The cruisers in brooklyn dont, was there on friday
    Thanks. It seemed that way, but confirmation is nice (and saves me the half-hour walk over to Red Hook :) ). The Kearsarge has an MV-22, CH-53E, UH-1Y, and an AH-1W for those interested. The AH-1W has a 9/11 New York skyline paint job on one side, and a small FDNY logo on the other.

A few from Teterboro yesterday where the Marines aviation contingent is based for Fleet Week. Shots taken while heading to and from Eisenhower Park on an overcast day.

Woz