Thread: Announcement: NYCA's Photo Hanger

Announcement: NYCA's Photo Hanger

Hey all,

Quite of few of you have known that we've been building something for a few years that was slowed for a few reasons, but it is finally public for your use. We are doing a "soft launch" of our "Photo Hangar," which is our own photo database for you.

We want to let people use it as they please and grow gradually, testing our servers and working out any final bugs. But, we wanted you folks here in the forums to have at it...since the beginning, we made this with you and your needs in mind. When you go spotting and you want to show off your photos NOW without waiting weeks for screening or using some non-aviation site like Flickr.

Please go to http://www.nycaviation.com/search and toy around. If you have a forum membership, you're already registered. Log in, READ THE PROCESS AND RULES, and go upload. Mess with tags, your settings, and share them on social media, use the BB code search options to post thumbnails wherever you want, use the HTML code for blogs or sites...whatever you want. For now, we are limited to 250 photos per member.

This was conceptualized with ideas from myself and the late Matt Molnar. We recruited our good friend Darin Gilchrist to build it all FROM SCRATCH. Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren has joined our team as the Director of Photography. He will be the man in charge of our team of photo dispatchers (not screeners!), and we have also had a ton of people who have helped form this. This is truly a "for us, by us" feature, and we are already planning a 2nd phase of features and functions to add to it later this year.

In the coming weeks we will make a bigger, formal announcement. In the meantime, this is all yours. There may be some small bugs, so please let us know.

Thanks. :)

Email me anytime at [email protected].

That was quick. David Xian already submitted his first batch of 25 pics, was reviewed and approved, and now has blanket upload abilities for immediate sharing. Here are his first 25:

Congrats, David!!!
    Last edited by PhilDernerJr; 2017-02-10 at 07:11 PM.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks Phil, great job guys!

I was just wondering...if you upload the required 25 shots and some get rejected, are you supposed to upload additional shots to bring the total back up to 25?

All my photos are on our desktop Mac on iPhoto and the files are too large, running at 3.5 MB.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    All my photos are on our desktop Mac on iPhoto and the files are too large, running at 3.5 MB.
    Gerard, I used software to resize my shots to make sure they were at 2MB or below- do you have software that can do this
    -William

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Gerard, I used software to resize my shots to make sure they were at 2MB or below- do you have software that can do this
    -William
    Nope

Question for the Administrators,

Is there a reason that when you upload a photo, the caption information is not imported from Metadata?

Quote Originally Posted by midexjet View Post
    Is there a reason that when you upload a photo, the caption information is not imported from Metadata?
    We had a discussion within our team regarding this. When it comes to metadata, there is some very good information there, but there is also a lot of garbage that can be inserted. Not saying that we will not consider something in the future but at present, it's not on our radar.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Thanks Mark,

I just saw your reply.

I certainly understand the concerns about garbage, but as one that takes time to caption my photos and do the research on the aircraft and flight, It's cumbersome and tedious to copy or retype the info.. that said it's not unmanageable.