Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FenceCheck shutting down

FenceCheck shutting down

A great resource for out of our area shows will be closing down,

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/vie...=unread#unread
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Sad as I just got onto that site the end of last summer. Good info. But seems to be the trend. Seems like a lot of the people that used to post stuff here are no longer around. Miss NYAshow.com too
    Glenn

Anyone know the folks that run it? Maybe we can work on something together. We have a decent thing going here.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by PhilDernerJr View Post
    Anyone know the folks that run it? Maybe we can work on something together. We have a decent thing going here.
    Phil,
    Liza Eckardt is the owner and administrator of FenceCheck and you should be able to contact her at this email address:

[email protected]

Unhappy

Wow, I was surprised to read her letter explaining the issues they are facing. Had no idea something like 'spambots' could cause that much of a problem on a daily basis(Skynet,anyone?). What a shame, that's a vibrant community on that site alone. Welcome to 2017:(

We deal with a lot of that as well but we have some good protections in place.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    I used to use Fencecheck back in the day; it was great for cleaning up serials from airshow flying displays, but the database was only ever semi-usable, and when the sequester cancelled all of the airshows a few years back, I think it really put a dent in the whole airshow enthusiasm category.

Quote Originally Posted by dekdawg21 View Post
    Seems like a lot of the people that used to post stuff here are no longer around.
    So you noticed that also. This site used to be pretty busy with posts and replies but lately not so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    So you noticed that also. This site used to be pretty busy with posts and replies but lately not so much!!
    Yes, for sure. Facebook has changed some things, but we are changing that, and the forum activity has already grown in recent weeks. We will be bringing more content to the forums, and just (minutes ago) made another announcement about NYCAviation that will enhance our forum usage as well. Also, we will have a new Facebook community coming for those who also enjoy that.

As for FenceCheck, we did our best to try to help. Doesn't seem viable, unfortunately. :(

My hat goes off to Phil and the NYCA staff for continuing to keep the site open in the first place, much less keeping it current with new content and features, I can tell it aint easy. There is so much variety on the internet now it's a completely different beast than when I joined NYCA in 2005. Even for a relatively small group of chaps such as ourselves, there are many different options to get one's avgeek on. Plus you have people's evolving tastes(and the occasional bit of acrimony is how I'll put it) as well as changing life circumstances that lead to a cast of characters that is always in flux. Yes it's great to see new people post but it's always nice to see the 'older' folks check in after a long absence. I'm not on FB myself(too much drama) so if this site went away I'd be screwed!

I have noticed! Some people seem to have stopped posting or way less. This is my primary source for air show news and seems less each year.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by PhilDernerJr View Post
    Yes, for sure. Facebook has changed some things, but we are changing that, and the forum activity has already grown in recent weeks. We will be bringing more content to the forums, and just (minutes ago) made another announcement about NYCAviation that will enhance our forum usage as well. Also, we will have a new Facebook community coming for those who also enjoy that.
    Social media has its plus side but I perfer a forum separate from what I do here. Not all my Facebook friends want to see or talk about aviation, nice to be able to come here and have a group with the same interests and share info
    Glenn

Well your participation is appreciated. :)

Quote Originally Posted by dekdawg21 View Post
    Social media has its plus side but I perfer a forum separate from what I do here. Not all my Facebook friends want to see or talk about aviation, nice to be able to come here and have a group with the same interests and share info
    Yup absolutely agree though many of my friends enjoy my pictures that I post of Aviation Geekdom lol!! Its a welcome respite from politics they tell me!! That and my dogs