Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Jones Beach/Bethpage Federal Credit Union Air Show

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    The Avenger was out of White Plains. He took it home and came back with a Yak. The B-17 usually leaves on Tuesday. If the weather improves, they do plan to fly it today.
    Where is the AAM's Avenger?
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    Where is the AAM's Avenger?
    It was on the ramp this weekend.

It was on the ramp this weekend.
    I wonder if they are short of pilots? I know Nick was flying his own Stearman in the BAS segment and he's checked out on it. I was surprised when I saw the TBM was Charlie's "She's the Boss". Would've loved to see two TBMs in the air and the B-25 as well, since this year is the 75th anniversary of the Doolittle raid. Would've made up for the B-17 not in the show this year.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    I wonder if they are short of pilots? I know Nick was flying his own Stearman in the BAS segment and he's checked out on it. I was surprised when I saw the TBM was Charlie's "She's the Boss". Would've loved to see two TBMs in the air and the B-25 as well, since this year is the 75th anniversary of the Doolittle raid. Would've made up for the B-17 not in the show this year.
    The B-25 Miss Hap did fly this weekend

Very disappointed that Yankee Lady and Miss Hap didn't fly the air show. At least they didn't on Saturday.
    Last edited by rkfast; 2017-05-31 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
    Very disappointed that Yankee Lady and Miss Hap didn't fly the air show. At least they didn't on Saturday.
    Miss Hap didn't really fly much at all this weekend. Saturday late afternoon, it went up for an FAA checkride for one of the pilots. As in the past, Yankee Lady got sponsorship through the AAM to appear, not the air show organizers. If they wanted her to fly at the beach, they would have needed to help cover expenses.

Miss Hap didn't really fly much at all this weekend. Saturday late afternoon, it went up for an FAA checkride for one of the pilots. As in the past, Yankee Lady got sponsorship through the AAM to appear, not the air show organizers. If they wanted her to fly at the beach, they would have needed to help cover expenses.
    John, Miss Hap was part of the flight that went up Sunday to the beach. They did a fly by at the airport with the others when they returned and then landed and that was it.

Thanks, Gerard, I skipped the festivities on Sunday.

Way to go Ryan .... nice work! Here are some shots taken from Field 5 during the practice run on Friday of the T-Birds.

WestJet heading to JFK for a 22R arrival.

Last edited by Zee71; 2017-06-03 at 10:25 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

That was my understanding. Makes sense. Still stinks, as in years past we got the whole magilla of aircraft. Now its cut way back it seems.

Overall...and I'm sure Ill get flamed for this...is the show getting kind of stale? Its the same acts and same routine year after year and even more so the last few years. No Heritage Flights, few if any TAC Demos, no "special visitors" like Growlers, the Bone or even a Rhino up from Oceana for the weekend, which we used to get almost every year. The Air Force has been almost non-existent at these shows (besides the T-Birds) lately and then when they are here they are out at ISP. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we have a show at all, but it seems some of the "juice" has been taken out of it lately. The show still pulls in over 300,000 between the two days (on a bad weather year) so its not because of lack of spectator interest, that's for sure.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    That was my understanding. Makes sense. Still stinks, as in years past we got the whole magilla of aircraft. Now its cut way back it seems.

Overall...and I'm sure Ill get flamed for this...is the show getting kind of stale? Its the same acts and same routine year after year and even more so the last few years. No Heritage Flights, few if any TAC Demos, no "special visitors" like Growlers, the Bone or even a Rhino up from Oceana for the weekend, which we used to get almost every year. The Air Force has been almost non-existent at these shows (besides the T-Birds) lately and then when they are here they are out at ISP. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we have a show at all, but it seems some of the "juice" has been taken out of it lately. The show still pulls in over 300,000 between the two days (on a bad weather year) so its not because of lack of spectator interest, that's for sure.
    Post-sequestration, a lot of airshow everything has been cut back - even AFBs that used to do shows every year (like Andrews) have busted down to biennial.

I agree 100%. This is the 1st year since it started that I did not attend. I think most of us want to hear the thunder more than anything, and that was distinctly lacking in this years show. No snowbirds, no CAF Hornet, No Breitling, No A-10, no TAC Demo, No Raptor, No B-1B... doubt we'll EVER get a B-2 or F-35. I wonder how the AC show will be this year? Still no performers listed.

You've got to remember that again this year construction at JFK was a big issue. The TAC demos and teams need the 15K and 5 miles TFR restriction and besides the TB's at 4pm, TRACON was not giving up their airspace. It was the reason that the F18 TAC Demo was scrubbed, and why the show was held from Noon to 5pm. The same thing occurred in 2015. Last year we had a good show. 3 teams and the F-22 with HF including the F35. Who could we reach out to in order to make suggestion for the show? Does anyone have the organizers contact info?
    --TSA.GOV website