Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Jones Beach/Bethpage Federal Credit Union Air Show

For those of you interested in viewing The Thunderbirds;

Long Island MacArthur Airport (ISP) has been selected as the staging site for the United States Air Force Thunderbirds for the Bethpage Federal Credit Union Air... Show at Jones Beach Memorial Day weekend. We are offering a public viewing Friday, May 26, 2017 from 2pm-6pm.
    Anyone interested in attending is asked to park in the Economy Lot at the Airport’s Main Terminal standard parking fees apply, where a shuttle bus will be waiting to transport guests to the viewing area. There is no parking available at the viewing area. If needed, the shuttle buses are handicapped accessible. Unfortunately, due to FAA regulations that govern commercial airports, no guests will be permitted outside of the viewing area or onto the active ramp
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Thunderbird 8 arrived at ISP today.

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    Thunderbird 8 arrived at ISP today.
    Thanks for the info!
    Glenn

Anyone know if and when the Thunderbirds will be flying around the beach today? Weather permitting of course...

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by fieldywanb View Post
    Does anyone know when the first thunderbird will be coming to ISP and if there is any spot where we can watch it approach without causing alarm to the airport or suffolk PD?
    So two years ago I drove over to MacArthur and knowing how much a pain in the butt authorities are there I decided I would try to find a spot under the arrival path once I found out what Runway they were using!! Not sure the Runway # but they were coming in from the East and I found a nice location
    on Railroad Avenue, settled in and got pretty good, though quick because of the trees, views of the Tbirds coming in. Also the C-17.That was around 4PM. Later I drove over to the area where they were parking off of Smithtown Avenue and along with a bunch of other people got to see them lined up and saw the C-17 depart. Surprisingly no one bothered us,

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    Anyone know if and when the Thunderbirds will be flying around the beach today? Weather permitting of course...
    Two years ago they didn't come in until late in the afternoon on Thursday around 4PM. And from what my weather sources tell me including the very reliable "Angry Bens Angry Weather" on Facebook,(shameless plug for a friend lol) it should be much better by Friday afternoon.

Thunderbird 8 is behind Liberty Jet on Smithtown Ave. Can just see the tail when driving by
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by dekdawg21 View Post
    Thunderbird 8 is behind Liberty Jet on Smithtown Ave. Can just see the tail when driving by
    Yes thats where everyone was parking last year, in the lot just east of the Liberty Jet facility.

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post

Ken
    Thunderbirds are expected between 1:00pm & 3:00pm at ISP. I guess the weather will factor in on their arrival time as this front slowly moved through.

They then hen have the airspace at the beach reserved from 4:00-5:00pm probably to run through circles and landmarks.

Again in all this is weather permitting

Anyone else out by the airport?

Anything going on down at the beach?

Golden Knights arrived at Republic earlier today.

Via a Thunderbirds crew IG photo. They left Colorado Springs 27 minutes ago.

Not sure how long the flight is from CO though

Yeah, I see T-Birds #14 & #15, 2 C-130Js, are enroute to ISP from CO also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Via a Thunderbirds crew IG photo. They left Colorado Springs 27 minutes ago.

Not sure how long the flight is from CO though
    ~1,800 miles between Colorado Springs and Islip. That's, what, somewhere in the neighborhood of 3+ hours flight time, I would guess.