Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Jones Beach/Bethpage Federal Credit Union Air Show

Yes just got back from the airport with the kids orical and jack links are there think I saw the national guard plane too on the 109 side sticking out of a hanger.

Talking to a airport employee he was telling me the reason the thunderbirds won't come into republic is runway length not fod always thought it was fod. The runway is just short of 7000 so the thunderbird xo won't allow them to land there.

Yeah, it's unfortunate the T-Birds won't be using Republic Airport, cause they first used it way back in 1983 for the Coney Island Show when they started flying the F-16, and the last time they used it was back in 2009 for Jones Beach with the temporary arresting cable installed also. So it CAN be used, even if they need a waiver! The T-Birds are missing out on a great USAF recruiting opportunity by not using the much more fan friendlier Republic Airport, especially when the Blue Angels ALWAYS use Republic Airport and have great interaction with all the fans there!

Quote Originally Posted by Innes View Post
    Talking to a airport employee he was telling me the reason the thunderbirds won't come into republic is runway length not fod always thought it was fod. The runway is just short of 7000 so the thunderbird xo won't allow them to land there.
    The runway length is an issue, but the last time the Snowbirds were here, they did have a problem with FOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Yeah, it's unfortunate the T-Birds won't be using Republic Airport, cause they first used it way back in 1983 for the Coney Island Show when they started flying the F-16, and the last time they used it was back in 2009 for Jones Beach with the temporary arresting cable installed also. So it CAN be used, even if they need a waiver!
    Yes, they can get a waiver to use a shorter runway, but if there's a problem, would you want your signature on the "approval" line of the waiver form?

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    The runway length is an issue, but the last time the Snowbirds were here, they did have a problem with FOD.

Yes, they can get a waiver to use a shorter runway, but if there's a problem, would you want your signature on the "approval" line of the waiver form?
    That's my point, WHY has the runway length at Republic always been OK for the Blue Angels to use, but now it's NOT OK for the Thunderbirds ???

What do the Thunderbirds use for a support aircraft? Can that aircraft land at Republic? Is that maybe the reason for using MacArthur <which is such a God-awful bummer>

Ken

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    What do the Thunderbirds use for a support aircraft? Can that aircraft land at Republic? Is that maybe the reason for using MacArthur <which is such a God-awful bummer>
    They use a C-17 (not dedicated; from whichever base has one available at the time). The C-17 can pretty much land on your street, pull into your driveway, then back up and take off again.

In all seriousness, if the CO says 7,000', then it's 7,000', so tough luck for Farmingdale. Islip also has a DoD facility on the premises, so that might sway the decision against any waiver, as well.

Yes, the T-Birds usually use a C-17 for their support aircraft, but they also can use 2 C-130s too, like they did this past weekend in OK.

Hey everyone, every year I watch these forums in hopes to see arrival times and practice times. So far we are 2 days out from practice and 3 days from first show and I haven't seen much. Does anyone know when the first thunderbird will be coming to ISP and if there is any spot where we can watch it approach without causing alarm to the airport or suffolk PD?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Yes, the T-Birds usually use a C-17 for their support aircraft, but they also can use 2 C-130s too, like they did this past weekend in OK.
    The last time they were at FRG they used a C-17 it backed down the runway. Does anyone know where they will park at ISP

Quote Originally Posted by fieldywanb View Post
    Hey everyone, every year I watch these forums in hopes to see arrival times and practice times. So far we are 2 days out from practice and 3 days from first show and I haven't seen much. Does anyone know when the first thunderbird will be coming to ISP and if there is any spot where we can watch it approach without causing alarm to the airport or suffolk PD?

Well, the T-Birds are doing their flyover for the USAFA Graduation today,
    so I'm not sure if T-Bird #7 will be arriving at ISP later on today, or tomorrow?
    Here's the FAA's TFR for the Jones Beach show starting tomorrow between 4PM - 5PM.
    Effective Date(s):
    From May 25, 2017 at 2000 UTC
    To May 25, 2017 at 2100 UTC
    From May 26, 2017 at 1400 UTC
    To May 26, 2017 at 2100 UTC
    From May 27, 2017 at 1400 UTC
    To May 27, 2017 at 2100 UTC
    From May 28, 2017 at 1600 UTC
    To May 28, 2017 at 2100 UTC

Here's the link:
    http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_7_0271.html

Thanks for the info. Although I would usually spend my pre-show Wednesday and Thursday at republic I'm not sure if that makes any sense this year as there won't be too much noise there. I guess I will try to be at the beach tomorrow at 4, but I know the forecast for tomorrow isn't great. I know in years passed if the weather wasn't great on thursday for the main act to go and get their show center aligned, they would go on Friday mornings before the other acts to work it out. Tomorrow afternoons weather calls for off and on showers. Hope we get a little dry weather in for them to come down and fly a little bit.

Well just when we thought this airshow/FRG observers weekend couldn't get any less quiet....The AAM on their FB page says the CAF's Dixie Wing P-51 and SBD will NOT be coming. They say enroute weather is the issue. Also for anyone that booked a ride refunds are available. The B-17 is still attending.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Does anyone know what time the Thunderbirds will be landing at Macarthur tomorrow?

Ken

I live very close to republic, and although my ears hear a lot of noise during airshow week, I heard a louder than average jet about an hour ago, anyone know what it was?