Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Jones Beach/Bethpage Federal Credit Union Air Show

Yeah Bill, you're right!

Hate to say it but looks like I'm just doing Friday at the beach this year. Aside from the warbirds not much else going on at Republic sadly. Will be cool to see the Dauntless.

Shame I can't make the show at Stewart in July, that looks to be an awesome lineup!
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by dekdawg21 View Post
    Hate to say it but looks like I'm just doing Friday at the beach this year. Aside from the warbirds not much else going on at Republic sadly. Will be cool to see the Dauntless
    I agree!! Not sure how they are going to fill up 4 hours or so, Lots a dead air, so to speak.

Updated performer list;

United States Air Force Thunderbirds
    Golden Knights
    106th Air National Guard Rescue Wing
    American Airpower Museum Warbirds
    Bayport Aerodrome Society
    David Windmiller
    GEICO Skytypers
    John Klatt Airshows/Jack Links’ Screamin Sasquatch
    Matt Chapman
    Sean Tucker
    SUNY Farmingdale Aerospace
    Warrior Flight Team

It is what it is .................... But it's still an airshow in our own backyard.
    Last edited by fk6065; 2017-05-15 at 10:25 AM.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    Updated performer list;

United States Air Force Thunderbirds
    Golden Knights
    106th Air National Guard Rescue Wing
    American Airpower Museum Warbirds
    Bayport Aerodrome Society
    David Windmiller
    GEICO Skytypers
    John Klatt Airshows/Jack Links’ Screamin Sasquatch
    Matt Chapman
    Sean Tucker
    SUNY Farmingdale Aerospace
    Warrior Flight Team

It is what it is .................... But it's still an airshow in our own backyard.
    Cool, got the Warrior Jet team! That'll add some noise and is something new!

And agreed that any show is a good show, was just concerned with the time in between
    Glenn

Less then one week away. I wish the Thunderbirds were going be at republic the one year they did come into republic it was real nice. They let us walk up to the planes

I agree....When will the Thunderbirds fly into MacArthur? Do they have anything that is the equivalent of the Blue Angels Meet and Greets (don't know if that's a formal name lol, but when folks <especially the kids> get to meet the pilots) that they do after their demo?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    I agree....When will the Thunderbirds fly into MacArthur? Do they have anything that is the equivalent of the Blue Angels Meet and Greets (don't know if that's a formal name lol, but when folks <especially the kids> get to meet the pilots) that they do after their demo?

Ken
    Last time they were here TB 8 came in Wednesday and the rest Thursday if i remember correctly. And don't think they do any kind of meet and greet or even access to the team/jets at ISP
    Glenn

That's why my 11y/o son is a blueangels fan first it's all about the pr. Maybe they read this lol

I think it might be because of the airport and not the teamn but not sure. Blues I find more interactive on social media.
    Glenn

My daughter loves the Blue Angels because of the interactions that she has had with its members, unfortunately she has never had the opportunity to meet any of the Thunderbirds, as said above I think that's more of a testament to the PR...I thought maybe the Thunderbirds would be a bit more accessable this time around as I think one of their members is from Long Island.....

Ken

It was to do with runway length. The USAF wont allow use of FRG because they feel 32/14 is "too short" at FRG for the T-Bird F-16s.

The F16C has a takeoff length of about 1,750 feet and landing distance of 2,650 with an external load. (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fighter/f16/).

32/14 at FRG is 6,833 feet. Longest at ISP? 7,000 feet.

So total difference between FRG and ISP? 200 feet. Hmmmmmm.

Now....200 feet is a lot of valuable space in an emergency, no doubt. But given both runways at FRG and ISP are well beyond whats needed for the F16C for takeoff and landing, the F16 has that big GE F100 engine, the arresting gear would be in place, and 32/14 at FRG has EMAS, the fact they wont use FRG seems weird to me.

What am I missing?
    Last edited by rkfast; 2017-05-23 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OB1500 View Post
    Looks like AAM will have a B-25, P-51, & SBD. I second the need for a change up.

The MN Wing will offer rides in its B-25 “Miss Mitchell” during the Dixie Wing tour with the P-51 Mustang ‘Red Nose” and the SBD-5 Dauntless. The units also are planning an air-to-air aviation photography workshop at Raleigh.

Preliminary dates:

April 22-23 in Peachtree City, GA then Savannah (04/29-30), Greenville, SC (05/7-8), Raleigh, NC (05/13-14), Virginia Beach, VA ( 05/18-21) Farmingdale, NY ( 05/25-28) then Reading, PA for the WWII Weekend. Stay tuned for the more details!

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds...southeast.html
    Bummer to hear this unfortunate news on the AAM's FB page about CAF Dixie Wing's
    P-51 Mustang & SBD Dauntless having to cancel their appearance at the AAM this weekend ...

UPDATE FOR THE Legends of Airpower Weekend 2017 -
    UNFORTUNATELY THE COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE DIXIE WING HAS NOTIFIED US THAT
    THEY HAVE TO CANCEL THEIR APPEARANCE AND RIDE TOUR AT OUR EVENT WITH THEIR
    P-51 Mustang and Dixie Wing SBD Dauntless DUE TO WEATHER AND LOGISTICAL ISSUES.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10155210983143400&id=1230 23458399

Quote Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
    It was to do with runway length. The USAF wont allow use of FRG because they feel 32/14 is "too short" at FRG for the T-Bird F-16s.

The F16C has a takeoff length of about 1,750 feet and landing distance of 2,650 with an external load. (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fighter/f16/).

32/14 at FRG is 6,833 feet. Longest at ISP? 7,000 feet.

So total difference between FRG and ISP? 200 feet. Hmmmmmm.

Now....200 feet is a lot of valuable space in an emergency, no doubt. But given both runways at FRG and ISP are well beyond whats needed for the F16C for takeoff and landing, the F16 has that big GE F100 engine, the arresting gear would be in place, and 32/14 at FRG has EMAS, the fact they wont use FRG seems weird to me.

What am I missing?
    You made some good points and it definitely has been disappointing that they haven't used FRG since what feels like ages ago. Maybe they don't like that the jets are kept so close to the fence at FRG? ISP definitely offers more seclusion and security if you will. Besides the 200 extra feet at ISP, can't think of any other possible reasoning behind it. Makes you wonder for sure.

Sean Tucker & Team Oracle are at Republic. They were doing a photo mission over NYC this morning.

This is coming from a Blue Angel fan but ..... The last time the Thunderbirds staged at Republic the team members were wonderful! They interacted with the crowds at the fence and were very friendly, true ambassadors of the Air Force and the military just the way the Blue Angels are.