Thread: Other planes at the Zhu Hai Air Show

Other planes at the Zhu Hai Air Show

The plane I missed at the Zhu Hai Air Show was the Chinese stealth fighter J-20. Two J-20s did a low level pass on the opening day. There were constant rumors as they would return on other days. During my visit, one of the VIP B-737-400 belonging to the Chinese Air Force VIP Transport Division (The 34th Division) landed at ZUH. This triggered a lot of hope among the spotters on the roof that to entertain the VIP to the show, the J-20 might return. But it never materialized.

Before the 9:30 start of the acrobatic performances, the Chinese built ARJ-21 taxied from its static display stand and took off from ZUH 05. After the morning acrobatic performances, the newly deployed Chinese Air Force Y-20 transport taxied out from its static display stand and took off from 05, too. I don't think these were considered part of the aerial demonstration. But taking two planes out of the show half way through was a bit strange. Question aside, I do appreciate the opportunity to shoot the take off of both planes.

The YF-17 of the Pakistani Air Force started that day's acrobatic performance, flown by Pakistani pilot. Unlike all other take offs, it took off from ZUH 23, and did a high angle of attack take off applying full after burner. But as a single plane demonstration, it couldn't be impressive as any of the acrobatic teams after it. It just served the purpose of warm up the crowd.

ARJ-21 taxi out. Note the "Soar with ARJ21" ad on the left wall of the exhibition hall.

Another shot of the ARJ21 as it taxied pass the Y-20.

YF-17 take off and performance

YF-17 with drag chute.

B-4021 arriving at ZUH

Y-20 taxi out

Y-20 take off

That's it, here are all the photos I took at Zhu Hai Air Show. I hope you enjoyed them.

Great shots and information on all three posts!! Maybe we can get the Chinese and Russian Teams here. Trump can make a call for the Russians at least lol
    And until I read the caption I thought the Y-20 was a C-17

Really great shots, thanks for sharing!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Excellent job reporting on an exotic air show, some interesting stuff you got to see. Too bad about the J-20 though, I was looking forward to it!

That Y-20 seems like a distant cousin to Il76

Gerard, Phil, megatop412: thanks.

The ARJ21 appears to be a combination of B-717 fuselage with CRJ-900 wing tip fence and engines. One can see the MD-80/90 influence when some of them were assembled in China.

The Y-20 is the marriage of C-17 fuselage and Russian Soloviev engines. Despite its great progress recently, engine design and development is still the weakest link of the Chinese aviation industry.
    Last edited by JZ; 2016-12-18 at 12:00 PM.

Also I missed the ARJ21 take off shot. Note there was no cover for the landing gear, similar to B-737.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Excellent job reporting on an exotic air show, some interesting stuff you got to see.
    I love these posts seeing international aircraft and airports but this was very cool with the look inside China!!!

Program Coordinator
    Nice!