Thread: Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst

Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst

Thought I would share some photos I've taken at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst during this past year.

Photography here is very difficult due to the locations and of course where the sun is. However, there's two locations that are somewhat close, one of which is off-base while the other appears to be off-base, but is actually on base (I've been told this by a friend that it is federal property and actually had security forces kindly ask me to leave because I was on federal land). There's also another location that is on base that is absolutely amazing, but again, it's on base.

McGuire is home to the 305th Air Mobility Wing and their 32 KC-10s and 13 C-17s, the 108th Wing and their 8 KC-135Rs, the Red Dogs with the AH-1W Super Cobra and UH-1Y Venom, VR-64 Condors with 4 C-130 Hercules, and the 150th Special Operations Squadron and their Boeing C-32B aircraft.

Great stuff, Steve! I caught a pair of those Red Dog Super Cobras at CLT this morning - well, I was only able to shoot one of them, the other was parked behind it. And a hundred years ago, the 305th Air Mobility Wing was called the 305th Air Refueling Wing, and was based at Grissom AFB, IN. That's where I did my KC-135A time.

Great pictures!! Last time I was at McGuire was early 90s with my sons who both got a nasty sunburn!! Needless to say the wife was not happy!!
    Looking at the schedule for 2017 it seems McGuire isnt doing a show this year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Great pictures!! Last time I was at McGuire was early 90s with my sons who both got a nasty sunburn!! Needless to say the wife was not happy!!
    Looking at the schedule for 2017 it seems McGuire isnt doing a show this year!!
    Gerard they hold the show every two years, they just had it this past May so next show is '18.

Great pics as always Steve!

Thanks guys! There's no show in 2018, either... unless by some stroke of luck they land the Snowbirds or a foreign team decides to come stateside...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Holzinger View Post
    Thanks guys! There's no show in 2018, either...
    No show in '18??? What's that about

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    No show in '18??? What's that about
    It's going to take until 2019 to get everyone through the security line from the last show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    It's going to take until 2019 to get everyone through the security line from the last show.
    LOL yeah that line was ridiculous

Thanks guys!!! Was actually going to make the move and go to McGuire this year. Was there once before in the 90s. Oh all!! I'm looking at Andrews AFB in Sept. How is/was the security line there? Was there also once in the 90s. I was planning a long DC weekend with the air show on Sunday the 17th in my plans.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Andrews can go either way. Some years, I was through the security line in 5 minutes, some years it was 45+. [EDIT: I swear to God, the smoothest time was the year the Air Force *band* was doing security.] You also have to be bused in from one of two off-site locations (either Fedex Field or the Branch Avenue Metro station), so there can also be a wait for the shuttle buses, though on the plus side there's no line to even get into the parking lot. Shuttle busing used to work great when they used off-duty DC Metro buses (2 door boarding, lots of standing room), but then Congress passed a law saying they couldn't use public sector assets, or something like that, and the contract switched over to some private operator that uses school buses, and it doesn't go as smoothly anymore.
    Last edited by Mateo; 2016-12-17 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Andrews can go either way. Some years, I was through the security line in 5 minutes, some years it was 45+. [EDIT: I swear to God, the smoothest time was the year the Air Force *band* was doing security.] You also have to be bused in from one of two off-site locations (either Fedex Field or the Branch Avenue Metro station), so there can also be a wait for the shuttle buses, though on the plus side there's no line to even get into the parking lot. Shuttle busing used to work great when they used off-duty DC Metro buses (2 door boarding, lots of standing room), but then Congress passed a law saying they couldn't use public sector assets, or something like that, and the contract switched over to some private operator that uses school buses, and it doesn't go as smoothly anymore.
    Thanks for that information!! I still think I'm going and tough it out lol