Thread: Long Island Flying Clubs and Associations?

Question Long Island Flying Clubs and Associations?

As I hang out frequently by KFRG, and at some point in the distant future I'd like to pursue flight training, I thought it might be fun to go check out some local flying clubs or associations. After some Googling, I found a few local names to look up. One name that caught my eye was Downwind Pilot's Association. It's been hard to find current information on them and others, with many broken links, old info, etc. Trying to get some basic info on current activities, members, meetings etc.

Does anyone on here belong to a group like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbagel_001 View Post
    One name that caught my eye was Downwind Pilot's Association. It's been hard to find current information on them and others, with many broken links, old info, etc.
    They are organized through Meetup.com and schedule get-togethers and other events through Meetup. They have monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of every month at 7:30 pm in the FRG Main Terminal, Board Room #201. I belong to them, but I don't know that I ever attended any meetups before I left Long Island.

https://www.meetup.com/Downwind-Pilots-Association/

Thanks for the info. Good to know!

Jamaica, New York, United States, 111046035586548, Jamaica, New York
    Moose135 nailed it. I belong to the DPA (as the Downwind Pilots Association is known) and attend maybe half of their monthly meetings per year. It's basically a group of pilots and prospective pilots and aviation enthusiasts who gather for up to 90 minutes each month. It's not a flying club that owns any aircraft thought some members do own airplanes or rent. They commonly schedule dinner flights and talk about upcoming local aviation events. The current leaders, Randy Lewis and Wayne Smith are very welcoming as is the group in general. They average maybe 20 attendees each month and sometimes socialize before and/and or after the meeting. Sometimes a presentation is given about aviation safety or a recent trip. I encourage you to attend. There is no cost to go to the meetings. I think annual membership is $60. Please contact me if you have any more questions. My mobile is: 917-288-0819 or email: [email protected]. Hoping to see you at an upcoming meeting. -David Abbey