Thread: Spanish Air Force (AME) 707-300, F-18s, P-3 Norfolk NAS pics

Spanish Air Force (AME) 707-300, F-18s, P-3 Norfolk NAS pics

Greetings,
    I know this is a bit long...
    I made my way down to Norfolk NAS to get the Spanish Air Force (AME) 707-300. It was operating as a support aircraft for the F-18s that were returning from Red Flag 16-4. USAF KC-10s provided refueling for the F-18s. This aircraft has been the bane of my aviation photography existence for 13 years and I am glad to finally have gotten the opportunity to photograph it.The reality still has not sunk in yet. T.17-3 was supposed to be retired a few months ago but apparently its still flying. Since my initial Failure to shoot this aircraft in 2003 when it flew as "Aeromexico "AMX4505" for "Cinco de Mayo" ADW-JFK-ADW I had missed it and the change over from the 707 to straight A310s killed any chance to get it in NY during the UNGA. Any Further "Cinco de Mayo" celebrations in DC or JFK were Falcon 900 and or A310s after that- and yes I drove four hours hoping the 707 flew in but when shooting at ADW all I saw was the F900 on the ramp. The second time in MIA "Commercial Jet Aviation told me I had just missed the plane by two hours. I was then was given even more bad news by the owner. He stated that after a decade or so the SPAF cancelled the contract and will on longer be flying the 707 to MIA for Maintenance. And more recently with the imminent retirement of this 707 I had given up but all hope. The trip to Norfolk was was totally unplanned and I was not expecting to be in Norfolk for 5 days (Aug 25th-29th. I was hoping to get down to NGU shoot the plane and head back north. Unfortunately the 707 departed one hour before I got to NGU. After two days of waiting and under the cover of darkness) REALLY???) the AME 707 decides to fly back to NGU from Las Vegas. The disappointment was unbearable and asked myself how much longer must I bare this Cross that gets heavier with each passing day. Fortunately night shots are possible at NGU and I managed to get some daytime shots the following day.

As a side note the following morning the 707 departed from NGU to Spain it made a hard left turn and it flew directly over my house at 37,000FT and I managed to get a few overflight shots just before T.17-3 disappeared behind the clouds.

Shots below are mainly of the 707,F-18s and the P-3.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2018-03-02 at 01:42 PM.

Great stuff as always, Senga !!

Senga: once again I have to admire your dedication.

Great stuff. Especially love the E2.

Thanks all,
    It feels amazing that I finally added this frame into my collection. Its retirement is imminent. In fact it should have been retired a few months ago. I had so few options and just have to do what i could to get it.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2016-09-04 at 12:31 AM.

Great work, Senga! Glad you were finally able to catch that one.

Great Catch and Great shots Senga as usual...!!!!!

Rich B

That 707 shape is so lovely, and so rare, NGU is the place where I flew my only real life PAR back in 2006, in a ChampionAir 727, whilst flying a DOD charter, we parked next to a World MD-11 ( pax, old colors ), it was a great day. The last working flying 707 I have seen is the Congolese head of state ship , in DWC, in 2014, the last 707 I have actually seen in flight was JT's 707-138 blasting out of LAX back in '08, for a kid who grew up under a steady stream of Astrojet, Starstream , Clipper, and Braniff Jelly bean 707's ( among all the rest) under Kennedy's and EWR's flight paths in the 1960's, 1970's, that is a silhouette that is sorely missed, along with the thunder, fury, and smoke that marked its wake.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Very true,
    The 707 is my favorite aircraft. It is very photogenic from practically every angle and whether its taking off or landing or on the ground. I love how it hugs the ground when it taxis as well. The engines shape and the sounds of the aircraft itself says it all. Visually its near to perfection as an aircraft can get IMO. I'll try to get those videos uploaded soon.

Senga

Outstanding, I hold the 707, 727, and 747 in equal esteem, the 707 was the airline ideal of my youth, the 727s I took for granted till I actually started flying them ,then I fell head over heels, the 747 was the epitome of all this, it was love at first sight, and a dream for me to fly one out of JFK as a kid in 1970, on my first Classic747 takeoff out of JFK IN 2011 , on the bay runway , I had tears in my eyes, I do confess it, dreams do come true, you can go home again, and sometimes if you are truly blessed the reality exceeds the hype : ) Cheers out !!!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

I know what you mean. I have a soft spot in my heart for the 707, 727 and 747 (Classic 100/200) and with pratts. Even the small stuff like the rotating beacons and the classic oscillating nav lights some of them had I can appreciate.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2016-10-06 at 05:50 PM.

Senga .... Simply outstanding! The 707 is my favorite aircraft, I love the shape and the sound of those engines and the smoke. Another gem off your list.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thanks mark. I think you might appreciate these vieos. I them of the Spanish Air Force 707. The vids are 100 percent garbage and I mainly shot them for the audio. Not many aircraft sound better than the 707. I think most of you can appreciate these videos. Getting sound along with a visual representation must be done with a dying breed like the 707. Don't forget to turn up the volume WAAAY up :)

-The first video is at night when the 707 was arriving back into Norfolk NAS from Las Vegas
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aviophotog/29443604402/in/photostream

-Second video is the first of two arrival during a test flight the 707 did.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aviophotog/28926773554/in/photostream

-Third Video is of the departure of the 707. It ended up doing 2 landings.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aviophotog/28929190613/in/photostream

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2016-09-09 at 02:14 AM.