Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: UN Week - 2016

Any pics of the Iraqi, Iran and Zimbabwe in daylight this year?

So much for let's the games begin.. In my view this is the weakest UNGA yet, no contest compared to 2009 and 2013 when I visited JFK. I would've been interested only on the Iraqi, the Iran and the Zimbabwe would've given me only a Mona Lisa smile because of that awful new eurowhite livery disaster of theirs.

The Qatar 747 is down here in Miami at the Signature FBO, supposedly since Thursday and at that it's unshootable blocked by little bizjets. Not a big loss if i dont get it

Hi Mario,
    Iraqi operated under the cover on darkness this year. I saw the Zimbabwe at the location of where the tipple hangars were getting ready to go. I can't be bothered to shoot the same planes time and time again as you can imagine. The stuff these days that fly in for the UNGA is like, "Oh thats cute" or "Cool new type" "Nice colors"- in most cases mediocre at best. They hardly bring out excitement like it did when I first started out doing the UNGA. I am glad I can just go out whenever something new shows up for me instead of having to spend nearly two weeks out running between 6 or so local airports as i used to in many years past. This was the first year I did not go to SWF. With that said its nice to add new VIPs frames to the collection and its one of my niche interests.

It kind of sucks when you go from a Gabon DC-8 to a 777

Angola 707 to a Global Express etc.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2016-09-26 at 01:50 AM.

Wiser words have never been spoken lol from DC8s and 707s to little airbuses and BBJs. Now I've also been told the Congo 707 is done too.. Also doesn't help that between Obama going away for good and the main agendas at the moment, a lot of heads of states of countries that can bring interesting aircraft decided to skip this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Here are a few more I got around to processing.
    Great shots Mark - your night captures are awesome....

Isaac

Thanks Isaac!

Still have plenty of more to process but here is a last minute catch. Thanks Senga!
    Last edited by Zee71; 2016-09-27 at 12:38 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    THURSDAY, the 29TH
    The Kuwaiti 748 positioned from Stewart down to JFK in the early evening (missed it by a couple of hours :( ) and then departed about an hour ago.
    And with that, UN Week is officially over!

Here is the shot of the Kuwait arriving yesterday, Thursday Sept 29th

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

No Problem on the A400 Mark,
    It always seems Kuwait is always the first ones in and last ones out. I wonder what next year will bring.

Mario,
    You heard the Congo B701 is no longer flying? I knew it woudnt last long but I didn't think it woudl have been this fast.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2016-10-01 at 12:47 PM.

Yes Senga that's what I heard.. but you never know. Spent a whole year in maintenance to fly only two more years? While it was at MIA I asked a mechanic who was working on it, he said the aircraft was not in good shape and had a lot of corrosion. Not hard to believe being a 1959 airframe... could be the oldest jet airliner in the world in flying condition.

Did VIP aircraft for this UNGA leave earlier than in past years?

Oh wow,
    I had a feeling it would only fly for a few years. I shot it in MIA also but then at ADW in DC and also at JFK. I haven't seen any recent history on the aircraft. I can't imagine it flew much to begin with. Yea I also heard it was in very bad shape. I think they spent over 1 year trying to get it air worthy again. When it had its first test flight they found 40 problems that had to be addressed.

BTW I have learned that the Spanish Air Force 707 was just retired from service. After 30 years of flying with the SPAF I managed to get a shot during its last month of operation. I guess even the least of thee can get lucky once in a blue moon. Just thinking about the timing its just shocking.

Senga

I last saw the Congolese 707 at DWC in '14, the last 707 I have actually seen in flight, was an IAF 707 at Tel Aviv in 2012. The E-6B , and E-3's will have to suffice . : )
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Nice,
    The last 2 I saw was the Spanish and then before that the Omega. I did not expect to get both of them so close together.

Senga

Like !!! : )
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

lol yes extremely lucky you were able to see it and photograph it before retirement! More than lucky I'd say you are a blessed man

I think the last time i saw it was in 2007 at MIA for maintenance. Wish i had a landing or take off shot of it. One day i changed spots, nothing I wanted to photograph was coming in on the north side of MIA so I moved to the south side, and as soon as I get there this thing lands on the north side coming back from a test flight...

I haven't gotten an alert for the Omega 707s in months, are any of them still flying?

Ahh yes, I was very Blessed to get it. I still can't believe it it was retire just one month after. I think was good that I did not know the updated retirement date was going to be in October especially before I knew it was going to fly out for Red Flag. I hope I do not have a repeat of this situation of any other aircraft. I had missed that 707 both times when I was in FL for 1 year. That last trip it made to MIA in 2008 it only stayed for TWO DAYS instead of months and thats where I got shafted. That last year was the last time ti visited MIA for MX.

The Omega Tankers are still flying strong. They have 3 or 4 of them. They fly many times throughout the week. I finally got on in a few months ago at KNHK.
    N623RH
    N624RH
    N629RH
    N707MQ

When not counting the militarized versions of a few Western Countries the Omega, Israeli AF, Iranian, (and of they are still air worthy) the DR Congo 707 and the Indian AF 707 are what might still be flying. The Indians have a very nice looking example many don't know about. I may have forgotten 1 or 2.

I am not sure about the Venezuela and the Colombian 707s.

Senga