Thread: Strange flightpaths coming into Newark Liberty Int'l (8/17/16)

Strange flightpaths coming into Newark Liberty Int'l (8/17/16)

As a backyard planespotter, I’ve been making note recently of two Lufthansa flights flown by large aircraft (DLH402 and DLH408) that pass overhead rather frequently en route to landing at Newark Liberty International. Today, though, even though I was ready and waiting, I wasn’t able to snap my usual photos of them, as – even within earshot – they seemed to execute some rather unusual S turns (as confirmed by my smartphone’s PlaneFinder app), such that I never saw either plane.

I’ve looked all over the internet since this afternoon, but have not been able to find an explanation for the diversions. Was something going on in the area (northern New Jersey) that I’m unaware of, to account for the sudden change in flightpaths? I learned that there was a power outage that affected JFK yesterday, but that couldn’t have affected these two flights (and others) coming into Newark a day later, could it? Through backed up flights, I mean.

If anyone knows anything and can offer an explanation, the curiosity in me would be grateful. Thanks!
    Last edited by sbutk; 2016-08-17 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Duplicate paste

May have needed some extra spacing, so ATC asked them to do some S-turns?

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    May have needed some extra spacing, so ATC asked them to do some S-turns?

I suppose that is the most-likely, least-interesting, explanation. Haha. Thanks.