Thread: JFK 1/29

JFK 1/29

All,

I'm planning on heading out early tomorrow to get some spotting in for the first time in way too long. Subject to traffic, I'm hoping to shoot departures in the morning/early afternoon before shifting to arrivals before sundown. If anyone's heading out, drop me a line!

Mark

Here's the first of a few batches from Friday. The weather was atrocious between the cold/wind/rain/crappy light, but I made the best of it. The day started at HoBe before heading over to Costco for the later arrivals. Enjoy!

j2 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j7 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j8 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j11 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j13 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, and more to come!

First off a quick note: To anyone who has the Sigma 150-600S for Nikon, install the firmware update using the dock if you get a chance. My keeper rate in AF-C jumped by probably 30 percent! Focusing seems a bit faster and more accurate in the default mode, and I was able to set up a custom aviation profile with a better focus limiter range for the jets. Well worth it to pick up the dock in my opinion.

The rest from Friday, Sunday's will be coming soon!

j15 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j17 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

Once the departures line up got light with heavies I headed over to Costco to finish out the day. While the light continued to suck for the most part, having the chance to shoot from a bit different angle than I have in the past at Panera was interesting, and with 600mm of reach I could get some of the more head on shots that I've enjoyed shooting.

j30 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j32 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j38 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j44 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j46 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j48 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j49 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j53 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j55 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

j56 by Mark Kolanowski, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! Sunday's stuff from the Mounds was a vast improvement in the light department. I'm hoping to start posting those tomorrow.
    Last edited by captmjk16; 2016-02-06 at 12:06 PM.

Excellent! I am not a snob when it comes to 'perfect light', if you can make it work so be it. So many great captures here, the Delta T7 is awesome.

I was thinking about the 150-600...is it truly an improvement over the 150-500OS? I was thinking an extra 100mm wouldn't make that much of a difference but I have read that the optics are an improvement over their previous superzooms and that has me thinking about it...

I can't say I'm a full on light snob, but everyone's got a limit! (Rain and driving snow didn't cross that limit last weekend, though the results afterwords did make me question if it was worth it). Thanks for the kind words!

As for the lenses, the newer generation is sharper at 600 wide open than the old ones were at 500 stopped down (if not anywhere in the range). I know test results only go so far, but Bryan's comparison here is probably the best thing I've seen to illustrate that. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=5&APIComp=0

Brad Hill's blog (http://www.naturalart.ca) has a series of long lens tests, comparing the sharpness, handling, focus, and keeper rate of the Tamron 150-600, Sigma Sport, and Nikon 200-500 in real world settings, quite useful and interesting. His data is what convinced me to get the dock and do the firmware update, and my keeper rate results have been similar.

From what I've seen on flickr and shot myself, the 150-600S is the champ of the group, with the 150-600C following close behind. The Tamron lags a bit behind, but still a good bit sharper than the prior generation (150-500, 200-500, and 50-500).

I know I'm thrilled with my 150-600S, and was incredibly lucky to pick one up no too long after launch last year when they were still very hard to come by. It's a substantial lens, enough to make my 70-200 feel like a toy, but the results have been more than worth it for spotting and airshows with the added bonus of outstanding field sports shots too.
    Last edited by captmjk16; 2016-02-08 at 10:59 PM.