Thread: TJIG-Isla Grande, Puerto Rico- 12/2015-1/2016: "Wait... is that a Trislander?!"

TJIG-Isla Grande, Puerto Rico- 12/2015-1/2016: "Wait... is that a Trislander?!"

Hey Guys,

The photo processing continues. At the behest of Skyteam18, I will skip over SXM and instead bring some shots from an airport that may not have gotten much love here before, TJIG, the smaller of the two airports serving the San Juan area in Puerto Rico. Home to several commuter airlines servicing the small islands of Vieques and Culebra, TJIG also boasts some GA and Corporate traffic. It also abuts the Terminal Panamericano, and these first few shots were taken from deck 13 of the Jewel of the Seas, prior to sailing away.

TJIG Tower by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Untitled PC-12. TJIG by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Untitled King Air, TJIG by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Some weeks later I was back in San Juan to visit with some friends on a traditional holiday. Whilst driving to a local restaurant my attention was called to a departing aircraft by a member of my family. Having only seen them in photos previously, it took me some time to process that I was indeed looking at a Britten-Norman Trislander, and prompted the titular question for this set. Thankfully my bag was in the trunk, and I decided to investigate after lunch.

Upon getting to the field, there was no sign of the Trislander to be found, and my only consolation was this C208

Untitled C208, TJIG by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Thankfully, a short while later, an unmistakable profile appeared on the downwind, and I managed to grab some photos despite the commencing rain.

Vieques Air Link Trislander, 7 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

I gotta love all the doors the crammed into this thing!

Vieques Air Link Trislander, 6 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Unsatisfied with the weather, I returned a week later hoping this plane, which no one seemed to realize still operated, would fly again. I lucked out!

Untitled Challenger, TJIG by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Sadly this guy took me by surprise and I had no time to lower my shutter speed...

PRPD Bell 407 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Untitled GA, TJIG by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

And at long last, my target in ideal light!

Vieques Air Link Trislander, 4 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Air Flamenco Islander by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Vieques Air Link Islander, 2 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Vieques Air Link Trislander, 3 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Final departure for the day

Vieques Air Link Trislander, 1 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

While not as exciting as the myriad larger airliners that we often catch, I was very excited to bag such an unusual (and new to me) aircraft to start 2016! Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers,

Nick

Nice shots Nick! I fondly recall many hours with a few friends on the sports staff of the Liberty of the Seas sitting on the canopys over the Flowrider bleachers shooting arrivals TJIG. That last Trislander shot is a beauty, and the panning on the King Air is outstanding!

How did Jewel treat you? I spent a lot of time (almost every night) down on the pool tables when I was aboard her. Sadly my game on tables that don't move has never recovered... or so I tell those who beat me haha.

Thank you! I was really pleased with how the photos came out overall.

Also, The Jewel was fantastic, we had an awesome cruise! I was way too spoiled, and even managed to sneak in a few airplanes in the ports of call. I am ready to go back... :)

If it makes you feel any better I've been booking cruises based on hitting SXM repeatedly since 2008! I've got one booked to hit St. Thomas (Lindbergh Beach is a great warm up for Maho, while allowing enough downtime to enjoy the water/beach), and St. Maarten in a few months and I'm planning on hitting FLL for an afternoon after arrival and morning before heading out to the ship.

Glad you had a good time!

Very nice warm and sunny pics!