Thread: The Relentless Pursuit- Up Close with Bell's new Model 525

The Relentless Pursuit- Up Close with Bell's new Model 525

Hey Guys,

As I mentioned in my post from Dallas before the holidays, I had been chasing a somewhat unique aircraft whilst back in the Lone Star State. Now that I am back from Christmas travels, I am finally caught up enough to get to editing and posting. The timing of my trip to Dallas was ostensibly framed around Bell Helicopter's first "Family Day" event in quite some time. Of course I was eager to see more about where my father works, even moreso when we learned that the new Model 525 would be making its first real (semi) public appearance as part of the event. Plenty of time spent camped alongside a road near the plant paid dividends when I finally got to see the 525 fly, which I had been dreaming about since before the project had a model number or formal name :)

It certainly dwarfs its Model 407 chase plane

Bell 525 and Chase by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Bell 525 1st Landing at HQ by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

While the light wasn't the best, I was certainly pleased and impressed with the 525.

I lucked out even further the next day when, as the event was shutting down, some kind Bell folks let me move a few cones around to get some unobstructed photos.

Detail, Bell 525 Mast by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Bell 525, Family Day 1 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

I always find strain gauges on test aircraft to be interesting...

Detail, Bell 525 Strain Gauges by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

And lastly, pushing back into the hangar as the sun sets behind the clouds

Bell 525, Family Day 2 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Bell 525, Family Day 3 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

It certainly was a treat for me, and a great way to cap a somewhat quiet year of photography for me. Probably the most photos and largest thread I have dedicated to a single aircraft... so I hope you enjoyed! A second prototype has just joined the test fleet, so keep your eyes peeled- perhaps they will hit the NYC area some day soon.

Cheers!

Nick

Nice set! As always, a treat to view your photos.

I didn't know prototype aircraft often had "strain gauges" attached to the fuselage. Very interesting tidbit, thanks for including that close up photo.

Now come on, stop holding back on the trislander photos!!!

Very cool to see, both as an avgeek and as an engineer (those strain gauges are making me drool). Thanks for sharing Nick!