Thread: Starter Camera Recommendations

Starter Camera Recommendations

Hello All
    Love the site and am on it about once a week. Looking for a good starter camera that will take good pics to get me started. Thank You for the help my budget would be around $ 500.00

Craig
    Last edited by txcraig; 2015-12-15 at 11:45 PM.

Well you didn't mention a budget and that determines whether you would need a point and shoot or if you can go with an actual DSLR. If you can afford a DSLR that's the way to go for this type of shooting. There is no point in debating Canon vs. Nikon, the entry-level models from either are so good it doesn't matter, besides one day they will merge anyway and become "Canikon", or, "Nikanon". Sony also seems to make some nice stuff.

Anyway, go to the store and ask to hold these cameras. Spend a few minutes playing with each. The one that seems most intuitive and has the particular features most important to you is the one to get. If you have enough of a budget, I would get a telephoto lens also like a 55-200mm. Many dealers sell packages with these lenses included, especially this time of year. I hope this helps you.

Thank You for the Reply Sir.

You can get some a nice Canon or Nikon kit for that price. Check out B&H .... I saw a Canon T5 Rebel with a 18-55mm and 75-300mm for $450 and a Nikon D3300 with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm for a little less than $500. You call! Good luck.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by txcraig View Post
    Looking for a good starter camera that will take good pics to get me started. Thank You for the help my budget would be around $ 500.00

Craig
    First of all, welcome to the world of photography! I've been shooting seriously for about ten years now and I'm having a ball. The first thing I'll say is that it's the PHOTOGRAPHER that takes good pics, not the camera--I've seen some absolutely fantastic photos taken with a mediocre camera and some absolutely lousy ones taken with an expensive one. I know what you're saying though--you want a camera that has a good quality sensor and takes good images. Remember though--the lens is as important as the body, perhaps more so, when it comes to the quality of an image.

Once you decide on a DSLR, plan to be married to that brand; I shoot Nikon because I bought a Nikon film SLR for my wife a bunch of years ago and I had lenses that would fit. Once you buy a bunch of lenses, it gets quite expensive to change. There are a lot of good cameras out there. Nikon, Canon, and Pentax probably have the widest variety of lenses available and all produce excellent bodies. As Zee71 mentioned, the Nikon D3300 is good, as is the Canon T series.

Do your research (I know that's what you're starting with this post)--two VERY reputable vendors are B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) and Adorama (http://www.adorama.com); I've done business with both and have never been disappointed. Both have brick and mortar stores in New York and are pretty much the go-to places for professional photographers. I've bought new and used equipment from both places and never been disappointed. I don't know where you live, but there are a lot of good local camera stores as well. Look around your community and see if there's one in your area.

Which brings to mind another suggestion: If you're on a budget, you can get some good deals on used bodies or lenses--I bought a used D5000 for around $280 last year that does a great job. Be aware though that a used body doesn't always come with all the accessories of a new one, and it doesn't come with a warranty. If you go used with B&H or Adorama, get to know the rating system so you know what you're getting--both places prominently display the condition of the item and you can readily see their rating scale by clicking on the rating on the web page. A dedicated local camera store (as opposed to one of the big-box stores) can also be a good source for a used camera or lens. Just make sure you know what you're buying.

Another way to save some money is to use after-market lenses. Nikon, Canon, and Pentax all charge a premium for their lenses, but Tamron and Sigma lenses also produce excellent images, often at half the price. You may see two identical lenses for two prices, usually around $50 different. The lower priced item will be marked "gray market." Those are imported lenses and, even though they are identical, they don't have warranties that are valid in the US.

So, to summarize, I would go with a body, an 18-55 millimeter lens (for close in, wide angle shots) and a zoom lens that goes out preferably to 300 mm, but 200 mm would be acceptable as well.

Here is an example of a kit that I think would be good for someone starting out:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searchatclk=Brand_Nikon&ci=6222&N=4288586280+42913 15846

Mind you, I'm not trying to sell you a specific camera or promote a specific store, but instead to give you an idea of what's out there, things to look for, and some places you can get information to make an informed decision. I know I've been long-winded, but I'm trying to give you a good overall view. Good luck! Don't hesitate to message me if you have questions.

Thank You Again for the Information. It will help way more than you know.