Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 New York Air Show at SWF

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States

2016 New York Air Show at SWF

The folks behind the New York Air Show announced earlier today that the 2016 show will be headlined by the USAF Thunderbirds. The show will be held on Labor Day weekend, September 3rd and 4th. That is a week later than had been previously announced.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Hi there. I plan to visit US in early September and thought that NY Airshow will be just the event to see. Since I have never been though, on any US airshow, I just got few questions, if you could help me, I'd be obliged. So, is the spotterpack/photo stand really worth the money or will the view from regular audience be sufficient - especially for photo purposes. My lenses vary from 17mm to 500, which is OK for most of air events, apart from quick flybys at high altitude, but these pics always seem boring.
    Also - are there some special effects? (flares for instance) deployed sometimes?
    Is logistics really complicated? (getting there/parking/travel etc?) - I hope for my family (aunt and uncle) to help, but I am not sure if they will be able to give me a lift (I will be travelling from Medford/Long Island)
    Thanks in advance!

http://airshowny.com/events/event/thunderbirds-arrival/

Arrival info for the TBirds next week!!

Also read that on Friday around Noon they will be coming down the Hudson for FlyBys of the WTC, Statue of Liberty and Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Also read that on Friday around Noon they will be coming down the Hudson for FlyBys of the WTC, Statue of Liberty and Manhattan.
    The T-Birds NYC flyover is actually scheduled for around 9:45AM on Friday morning according to this link:
    http://airshowny.com/events/event/statue-flyover/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    The T-Birds NYC flyover is actually scheduled for around 9:45AM on Friday morning according to this link:
    http://airshowny.com/events/event/statue-flyover/
    Thanks. I believe originally was around Noon. i wonder if they will send out media notices to keep the "chicken littles" at bay!!

Thunderbirds are coming in a little later than anticipated today. Late afternoon or early evening. Not sure if it's the weather. Tomorrow should be beautiful if anyone is looking to catch them as they do a flyby down the Hudson and around the Harbor. As of now Saturday looks to be the day to go. With the storm moving up the coast Sunday could be a washout. If you are going stay tuned to social media. New York Air Show has a great Facebook page with up to date info, great pictures of arriving participants and run some live broadcasts like yesterday's arrival of The Bone and TBird # 8.
    Enjoy the show if you are going!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Thunderbirds are coming in a little later than anticipated today. Late afternoon or early evening. Not sure if it's the weather. Tomorrow should be beautiful if anyone is looking to catch them as they do a flyby down the Hudson and around the Harbor. As of now Saturday looks to be the day to go. With the storm moving up the coast Sunday could be a washout.
    The downside is that EVERYONE who is planning to go to the airshow will go on Saturday meaning it will be packed to the gills
    Last edited by alberchico; 2016-09-02 at 12:27 AM.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    The downside is that EVERYONE who is planning to go to the airshow will go on Saturday meaning it will be packed to the gills
    That could be true but the latest forecast for the Newburgh area shows a better forecast for Sunday. With storms like this we should just wait and see what happens for an event like this. If you are in a coastal area you do need to be on top of the situation

The TBirds Facebook page has the pictures up from this mornings Fly Over!! Absolutely Outstanding!!

The weather was perfect this morning but the Thunderbird flew too high. To include the buildings in the foreground, the F-16s became too small in the frame. Well, I guess there are so many things against them buzzing the Hudson River.

I caught a sequence of the camera ship flying from one side of the formation to the other as it turned around to fly over WTC.

Looking forward to more pictures from the air show over the weekend.

Got some video from battery park before walking into the office.
    http://youtu.be/n6t8PIzg9ns

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    The show was pretty good yesterday. Never saw the jelly belly plane before. They did a comedy routine that was very funny. Thunderbird 4 had some issues and had to land. He went back up about 15 minutes later in the spare.

Interested to know how this year was, compared to last year!! Thankfully it wasn't as hot!! But parking, traffic, food etc.
    Thanks