Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Jones Beach Air Show, May 28 - 29th

3:35 Fat Albert has landed

4:20 Fat Albert left but will return to pick up the maintenance crew and a ton of equipment that was offloaded. Capt Higgins told us they had an engine problem enroute and had to divert to Stewart to get fixed. One engine went out. I believe they are returning the Stewart crew to their base and will be back. # 5 is definitely heading out today.
    Last edited by Gerard; 2016-06-20 at 05:02 PM.

5:30 Fat Albert is on Final for 19!

So you can't make this stuff up!! We were all hanging by the fence line watching the crews load up the C-130 and they were getting the Hornet ready. All of a sudden we see the big Fire-Rescue Truck racing to the north and we look to see that a PLANE HAD CRASHED on Runway 19. Smoke was rising from the plane and a bunch of us ran to the other side of the fence and we can see both pilots out, no fire!! Not sure what happened but it was on its belly and both props were severely bent!! It was a Swearigen SA-226.
    So guess what? Fat Albert and Angel 5 are going no where tonite!! Airport is closed and the plane is blocking both runways. One of the crew chiefs came over and told us the bad news that they were bunking in L.I. tonite!!
    Kinda Ironic if you ask me!!

Gerard thanks for all the great updates.

Did if they say what time tomorrow ?
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Wow. You are right, you cannot make is stuff up. Any guess on a departure time tomorrow? I would love to come down but would need an idea on time...

Glad to hear the pilots of the crashed plane got out!

Yeah thanks for the info! That sucks. It's cool though that it sounds like they were coming over and talking to people. Wasn't happy I couldn't get down there but maybe tomorrow depending on departure time.

Are the flags and stuff still in the fence?
    Glenn

Crew Chief said sometime in the morning, I'm thinking early.
    When the pilots came out of the C-130 they all acknowledged us at the fence and pointed to the makeshift shrine and patted their heart and waved to us. Later Capt Katie Higgins came over with autographed pictures of the C-130 and chatted with a bunch of us for awhile!! What an absolutely delightful and lovely young lady and she told us how much the whole team really really appreciates the support and love they have received from us and they were all touched by the tribute on the fence which they had known about from pictures!! Gotta say almost had a few tears in my eyes !! That was so nice of her to come over!!
    Last edited by Gerard; 2016-06-20 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks Gerard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Crew Chief said sometime in the morning, I'm thinking early.
    When the pilots came out of the C-130 they all acknowledged us at the fence and pointed to the makeshift shrine and patted their heart and waved to us. Later Capt Katie Higgins came over with autographed pictures of the C-130 and chatted with a bunch of us for awhile!! What an absolutely delightful and lovely young lady and she told us how much the whole team really really appreciates the support and love they have received from us and they were all touched by the tribute on the fence which they had known about from pictures!! Gotta say almost had a few tears in my eyes !! That was so nice of her to come over!!
    Wish I could have been there. What a class act.

I'm hearing activity according to my people on scene!! As of 10:30
    The crews must have slept in this morning

Personnel arriving now...canopy up on #5

Just heard they are scheduled to leave between 11:30-12:30. Wish I knew that at 6:00 this morning! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I'm hearing activity according to my people on scene!! As of 10:30
    The crews must have slept in this morning
    Or waiting for skies to clear! Don't blame them for sleeping in though seeing as it was a long day yesterday and weren't planning on spending the night!
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by TerryB14 View Post
    Just heard they are scheduled to leave between 11:30-12:30. Wish I knew that at 6:00 this morning! ��
    11:30 they headed up into the Wild Blue Yonder followed by Fat Albert!! Safe trip!!!