Thread: Where to post nostalgia stories ?

Where to post nostalgia stories ?

I don't see anywhere where enthusiasts can post interesting stories about how easy spotting was pre 9-11. It was very different than nowadays. I often think back about those great days with nostalgia and could share with others. How about a discussion of past days, but where to post these? I bet those spotters from the 60's and 70's up to the present have stories to share and bring perspective to those who think spotting is a more recent activity. We had no internet back then to share our experiences.

This is not about 70's-80's era spotting at JFK (However I did spend spend many hours on the rooftop Pan Am parking lot in the late 70's early 80's).

I have just discovered that on Google you can read entire back issues of FLYING Magazine. The issue I highly recommend is the October 1973 issue with an article called "June 21st at JFK". It is the story of the tower dealing with a typical stormy summer day at JFK involving all the major players of the period (Pan Am, Eastern & Braniff...), and all the equipment failures, wind shifts and emergencies to be dealt with on a controllers shift.

Reading these will give the younger members a feel for what it was like to read a real magazine, with well written, informative articles by aviation writers like Ernest Gann and Gordon Baxter. The ads alone a quite fascinating, especially the "Weight and balance" calculators that cost as much as an I-Phone today, or the portable emergency radios that are the size of a briefcase. In addition there are the ads for luxury cars like the "Chrysler Cordoba with real Corinthian leather" and even cigarette ads.

I think you take the time to look these up, you will find them as informative, entertaining and addicting as I have.

Quote Originally Posted by JHNA57 View Post
    This is not about 70's-80's era spotting at JFK (However I did spend spend many hours on the rooftop Pan Am parking lot in the late 70's early 80's).
    I remember my dad taking me to the observation deck at LGA!! Oh man what great views there!! When did they shut that down? 80s?

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    You're absolutely right, we don't have a forum that sticks out as being a place for these kinds of stories. I could see them going 2 places. This forum (General Discussion) is kind of a catch all for anything that doesn't fit the other forums. I could also see them fitting in the "Spotting Planning and Review." After all, it is a review of spotting, just from a long time ago.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Some of us have posted shots taken pre-9/11 which naturally invites commentary about who remembers what/where/when/etc.

See my "JFK Time Machine" thread for an example of how that started a nice series of posts

http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...t=time+machine

Then there was Moose's beyond awesome thread: http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...t=time+machine

So, I don't think separate area is needed for these...just post up and chat away!

The best spotting I ever did was from my grandparents/cousins house in South Ozone Park under the Canarsie approach about 1 mile from the 13L threshold at JFK , I was born in that neighborhood, and mia familia was there from 1956-1989, I spotted everything from the last of the big props ( Connies !!!) to the Concorde and beyond. Whenever I am on a JFK layover I walk those streets with a smile in my heart, you can go home again !!!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!