Thread: Seattle Area Mega Review

Seattle Area Mega Review

Just got back from Seattle and I have finally gotten through the thousands of pics I shot while out there. First off, I struck out big time at PAE and BFI...it's sad how little action there was on the days I spotted there (of course, the days after were full of action..) Not much to see, plus while at BFI I got to experience Seattle's only thunderstorm of the year, but there was enough to make me happy..

Moving on from that less than stellar showing, I finally get some seaplane love from Victoria, B.C. and Lake Union in Seattle. Stay at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown, it is just across the street from Kenmore Air.

TWOTTER!!

The "Wild Orcas" special scheme departing on a hazy and humid morning

Thanks for taking a look everyone, part II is coming up shortly, some pretty good birds await...

For part II, I'm gonna go a bit off the beaten path in terms of what we usually see here on NYCA.

My Uncle-In-Law Lives out in Sequim, WA on the Diamond Point Airstrip-2WA1. It's a very small community made up of mostly retired pilots and airline professionals...everyone has a plane of some type. Heaven, for sure... It so happens that our visit out there coincided with their Airport Fest. Many of the local birds were on display, as well as some rare birds from the surrounding communities. It was like taking a step back in time, to when fabric and wood ruled...and flying was still a bit scary, a bit exhilarating, and a bit unknown...

Two Globe GC-1B Swifts, built in 1946

Beech C-45 Expeditor

Piper PA-18 Cub

Vans RV-4

The Port Townsend Aero Museum brought over some of their collection as well, which was amazing. Some really rare aircraft here...

A 1946 Cessna 140

A 1920's era Travel Air 4000 (also know as the Curtis-Wright Speedwing)

One of the stars of the show, a 1930 Stinson SM-8A Detroiter "Queen Of The Cowlitz". Named after the Cowlitz River in WA State, this plane is an absolute gem. All wood and fabric, it was such a treat to get up-close with this beauty.

And finally, The star of the whole day, a 1955 LET Aero AE-145 Super Aero 45. According to the owner, this is the only one in North America (or pretty much outside of Eastern Europe/SE Asia), and I'm inclined to believe him as searching for pics or info for any over on this hemisphere has been fruitless...He and his buddies are working on it to get it into flying condition. Super rare and damn cool to see up close. I didn't even know this type of plane existed, which of course my wife scolded me for..being the aviation know-it-all I proclaim to be.

Hope you all enjoyed this post, I am still editing pics, so I may add more as I go along.

Fantastic set. I really like the variety of the seaplanes you have captured. Well done!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Awesome set, Chris!

It's always interesting seeing a 737NG without winglets. Copa is one of the only airlines still fitting them after delivery.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Program Coordinator
    Super nice set! Glad you got some mileage out of the trip to the peninsula!

Thanks guys! The peninsula is stunning...my wife and I fell in love..so much so we're planning on moving out there.

The guys over at Diamond Point were awesome, so much knowledge and had no problems with shooting everything in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Landing Lights View Post
    Awesome set, Chris!

It's always interesting seeing a 737NG without winglets. Copa is one of the only airlines still fitting them after delivery.
    Yeah, thought the same thing....remember when winglets were a novelty?

Great shots.

I'll be moving out there in March. Visited once and fell in love with the place, visited a second time and I was hooked!