Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields of New York

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields of New York

Do you ever wonder what happened to the old airport where you learned to fly? The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website, at www.airfields-freeman.com, is a free historical archive of pictures & description of 1,918 former airfields, in all 50 states & territories.

The NY pages of the website are filled with entries describing Flushing Airport, Floyd Bennett Field, Rockaway Airport, Staten Island Airport, and many other former NY airports, all lavishly documented.
    Visit www.airfields-freeman.com to see them all!

Paul Freeman
    www.airfields-freeman.com

Hi Paul, I discovered some Kodachrome slides of Flushing Airport recently. They were taken by my grandfather in 1972 and feature the Goodyear Blimp. (Probably there for the Open) Would you be interested in them for the site?
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Definitely! Do you have the ability to scan the slides? If so, you can email them to [email protected].

Thanks.

Paul

Love the site !!! I used to drive to Flushing in 79-80, just to hang out, I got my private Jersey side at Motown ( MMU), JFK was/is my field of dreams !!!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Glad you like it. Do you have any pics from your time @ Flushing?

Thanks.

Paul

No unfortunately I never took any pix there, I had my 7th birthday at FBF, I remember the P2V-7s, the A-4s, and a visiting F-102 from California all in the shadow of Kennedy across the bay.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Paul,

Great site. I have learned of a lot of fields that I didn't even know existed before I found them on your site. I contacted you a few years ago wondering if you still were looking for updated pics of Reese AFB near Lubbock, TX. I do have them, and actually took a few yesterday when I was out that way for a meeting. This time I CAN email them if you are still interested.

I was wondering if you might be interested in including Clinton/Sherman Airport near Burns Flat, OK? near the website? The runway is still active, or at least appears to have been given to/ and used by Clinton, OK. It was most definitely a military airfield though, and appears as if some of the old buildings are still standing. I found it on Earth one afternoon at work, and the Christmas Tree tipped me off, but it looks pretty unused from the Streetview images I see.

Travis

That's a neat site. Finally, I learned what happened to Aretz airfield in Lafayette IN. I was a Purdue student in 1991 and took lessons there. I knew it closed before I moved back east but couldn't remember when. It was depicted in Flight Simulator 98 but by the time I upgraded to FS9 it had been taken out.

My landings at FS Aretz were considerably better than my landings at real-life Aretz LOL

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    I was a Purdue student in 1991 and took lessons there. I knew it closed before I moved back east but couldn't remember when. It was depicted in Flight Simulator 98 but by the time I upgraded to FS9 it had been taken out.
    Boiler Up!

Thanks to material submitted by readers, the historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com has continued to expand: In the past 3 months, a total of 35 additional airfields have been added to the website, bringing the site's total of airfields covered to 1,996, across all 50 states. Many of the existing writeups have been updated with new material, with a total of over 30,723 airfield pictures now on the site.

So if you haven't visited www.airfields-freeman.com in a while, come back & see how much interesting aviation historical material has been added to the site.

Thanks!

Paul Freeman

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I've always enjoyed reading your site, Paul. Looking through it last night, I discovered information on an airfield that had been located just a few miles from my house. I drive by there all the time, but you'd never know that it was once an airfield.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow. with two recent sources of a significant amount of historical pictures & information. In addition to other readers' contributions of material, two readers of the site, Kevin Walsh & David Stevenson, have recently contributed a treasure trove of material which has started to appear on the site & will continue to be added to the site over the coming month. I appreciate the flow of pictures & material from everyone else, as www.airfields-freeman.com is truly a collaborative project. The site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,068 airfields, across all 50 states.

If you haven't visited www.airfields-freeman.com in a while, take a look to see what's been added.

Paul Freeman

The number of former airfields covered on www.airfields-freeman.com now includes 2,103 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as McConnell Field TN, Auburn Airfield WA, and others in California, Pennsylvania, and other states, new images of Meigs Field IL, Haley AAF IL, Echerverria Field Az, and Leicester Airport MA, and updates to many other articles describing former airfields. If you have applicable material, particularly pictures, please let me know!

So if you haven't been to the website in a while, come take a look at what's been added!

Paul Freeman

The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow, with many recent significant submissions of historical material from readers. The site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,136 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Saugus Field MA, Morgan Field MI, Alexai Point Army Airfield AK, Haydu - Mt Bethel Airport NJ, Dunlap Airfield TN, Martins Creek Airport PA, McGills Ultralight Field AZ, Albany Field GA, Fort Lewis #1 Airfield WA, Dayton Airport WA, Skyline Peak Airport NC, and updates to many other articles describing former airfields. If you have applicable material, particularly pictures, please let me know!

Paul Freeman

After transitioning the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website to a new hosting company at the end of last year, I'm happy to report that all of its content (1.3 gigabytes) is now available through a much more robust host.

I've also resumed adding new content to the site. Thanks to historical material submitted by readers, the site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,168 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Park Ridge Airport IL, Clear Ridge Airport NE, Fernley Airfield NV, Rubinkam Airport IL, Saugatuck-Douglas Airport MI, Iberia Parish Airport LA, Haulover Canal Airfield FL, Bassler Airfield MD, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman