Thread: KCLT - 3/17/15

KCLT - 3/17/15

I was up on the new hourly parking deck at CLT today for a couple of hours from late afternoon until after dark. Another local spotter stopped by, and we were photographing for a while when two TSA agents came over. The other spotter and I were about 50 feet apart as we tried some different angles, and one agent stopped by each of us. The agent who approached me began with "Great view, isn't it?" He was very friendly, asking about photography, commenting on the beautiful weather, and although I'm sure he was checking me out, it didn't feel that way. He never asked for ID, I gave him a business card, and he walked over to join the other agent chatting with my friend.

As they were leaving, a Charlotte police officer (CMPD replaced the separate airport police force a couple of years ago) stopped by my friend, and after about 5 minutes walked over to me. We chatted a little about the view from the deck - he said "This is your new favorite spot, isn't it?"- and a little about photography. I gave him a card - he said he had been to my friend's site, but hadn't seen mine yet. He did say two TSA agents in the terminal, not the ones who visited us, had seen us taking pictures and told him about it. He told them we were probably guys from the overview enjoying the new spot, but came over just to make sure. He even said "With all the calls we get about you guys taking pictures, the airport should give you some kind of ID, so we know you're good guys..." I told him about some of the airport watch programs elsewhere, which he thought were good ideas. After a few more minutes - he even make a joke about "if you see something, say something..." he headed out.

All in all, a very good encounter, and it sounds like security has already gotten used to having us up on the deck for photography...which is a very good thing:

Any of those folks looking to transfer up north to patrol the JFK garages?

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Any of those folks looking to transfer up north to patrol the JFK garages?
    You wish! ;-)

What a good encounter to have and one I heard echoed by the spotters I meet up there. While I was on the garage I saw a few security personnel but they seemed to just be enjoying the view as much as the spotters.

Nice shot btw, next time I'll have to remember a tripod.

Now that is a nice encounter. BTW nice night photo too!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

A follow up to this - I heard from the other guy who was on the parking deck with me that night. He was on the deck last night, and the above mentioned CMPD officer stopped by again. He said some TSA folks said something to him about my friend being up on the deck - you can see someone at the corner of the deck from the terminal. The officer told them "I know him, he's driving that white Kia. He's just one of the plane enthusiasts, just get used to them being up there they ain't doing anything wrong."

thanks for the parking deck updates!