Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seattle area - running thread

Program Coordinator

Seattle area - running thread

Figured it'd be easier to start a running Seattle-area thread than gunk everything up with new ones. The thread is open to anyone else visiting or living in the area, if you'd like!

Made a recent visit out to Paine for the Lufty retro, naturally missing it in the gorgeous weather that it flew in when it first appeared and instead getting drab overcast. I like the design, but I like it looks way better in bare metal.

Very nice, Jeremy!

great set Jeremy, but do you know why WN's scimitar winglets aren't installed straight out of the FAL?
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Program Coordinator
    I don't know, maybe a proprietary thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Blech View Post
    great set Jeremy, but do you know why WN's scimitar winglets aren't installed straight out of the FAL?
    They're an aftermarket add-on that Boeing one install off the line.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Program Coordinator
    Made a long-overdue visit to OLF Coupeville this past week (two hours northwest of Seattle), a Navy training facility for carrier landings that supports nearby NAS Whidbey Island. It doesn't take too long before you've seen all you're gonna see...but definitely worth an occasional visit:

Plus the usual assortment of Paine Field and Boeing Field action:

Program Coordinator
    Some recent action:

Another set of jaw droppers as usual Jeremy, that Raptor shot is amazing!

Great stuff!

I'm going to be in Seattle in mid august and have one day to spot...which would be the better location? PAE or BFI? I've been to both and remember that BFI gets more "traffic" than Everett, but spotting locations there were not as good as PAE. As a local, where would you recommend to spend the day? Not looking to get anything specific, just some good Boeing metal..

Program Coordinator
    It's a toss up, really. BFI is virtually guaranteed to deliver at least 2 or 3 (and probably closer to 4 or 5) new 737s, plus freighters, GA, bizzers, and the off-chance military or weird visitor. Plus spots have gotten mildly better, the south mid-field lot re-opened and that makes it much more doable than it has been for several years.

PAE is of course super spotter friendly, with lots of good spots. But traffic is unreliable. You can have a day with 3 787s, 2 or 3 777s and a 748 plus all the BFI bound 737s stopping for touch and gos. Or you can get nothing all day. Plus very little GA or bizzers or military to fill the time. In short, when Paine is good, it's great. But when it's not it's boring as heck.

Good to hear about the mid-field lot being re-opened. I'd imagine that a ladder is needed for that lot as well as the MOF main lot (unless you were to stand towards the back of the lot, near the MOF itself.)

Either way, I'm going to try to talk my wife into doing both BFI and PAE..

Program Coordinator
    The MOF frowns upon ladders, and depending on the security team on any given will make you take them down. It's been that way for awhile.

Midfield is best to have a ladder, but they've added concrete blocks to block cars that enable you to...more or less?...see above the runway. It isn't perfect, but it's workable.

Program Coordinator
    Seafair!

Program Coordinator
    I've ignored SeaTac by and large over the past year except for terminal spotting, mostly thanks to flying out on a weekly basis until more recently. That said, now that I'm stuck on the ground most of the time, I've revived my interest in popping in from time to time. Some recent shots and a mix of older ones from a story I did for USAToday over the past six months:

Plus, some from USFS Tanker Base Moses Lake, when the height of fire season out here in WA-state was out of control:

Program Coordinator
    Some recent stuff: