Thread: Zantop Electra takes to the sky

Zantop Electra takes to the sky

N430HA, an old Zantop Lockheed L-188 Electra departs Willow run to ferry down to Florida to start its new life with Buffalo after all its checks. After take off they did a low paw and dipped the wing for photos. Sorry about the raw images, my photoshop is inop right now and I figured they are better than nothing.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I remember seeing those Zantop birds around JFK in the late 70s and early 80s - they were old back then!

Oh wow very nice :) I wish I could have been there to see it off myself. Do they have many L188s left on the ramps these days at KYIP? Senga

I don't have a shot of an old Zantop bird handy, but I do have this old Fleming Electra - shot in August 1980 at JFK.

Nice shot John,
    I absolutely love L188s. Its a shame so few of them are still around. Minues the P-3 Military and Government. The only only civils L-188 I ever shot was the Zantop and the DHL. The DHL was stored at KOPF.

I shot the same Zantop L-188 N5522 in Louisville and THEN at Detroit several years later. They had some others flying for some cargo companies with the cheatline but no logos as well. The one at the bottom is "TMC Cargo" ex Zantop.

KSDF N5522

KYIP N5522

KYIP TMC Cargo

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2015-01-30 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB View Post
    Oh wow very nice :) I wish I could have been there to see it off myself. Do they have many L188s left on the ramps these days at KYIP? Senga
    There is one left sitting on the ramp. I was actually standing under the wing of it when I took the pics of it taxiing by. I want to say that is the last one, I don't think there are any in the hangar just that one. There is also a ex aero union p-3 water bomber that the same people were going to do a conformity check for Buffalo that has been there a while. Not sure whats going on with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrain999 View Post
    N430HA, an old Zantop Lockheed L-188 Electra departs Willow run to ferry down to Florida to start its new life with Buffalo after all its checks.
    Just to clarify for those of us not in the loop with the lingo, by "Buffalo" do you mean "Buffalo Airways" in Canada? Unless there is a Buffalo in Florida then thats a whole 'nother story.

They were a part of our daily life out of YIP in the 80's and 90's, and of course I loved the EAL Electras out of LGA TILL '77.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Just to clarify for those of us not in the loop with the lingo, by "Buffalo" do you mean "Buffalo Airways" in Canada? Unless there is a Buffalo in Florida then thats a whole 'nother story.
    Oh, Yeah sorry about that. Buffalo Airways. Joe McBryan came to Willow a couple times I think when they were restoring them.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Great video. Brings back my childhood memories of the EAL Electras at LGA. What a great sound those engines had.
    -Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviation.High.Guy View Post
    Great video.
    Thanks