Thread: Takeoffs & Landings Planespotting Mix - Chicago O'Hare International Airport

Takeoffs & Landings Planespotting Mix - Chicago O'Hare International Airport

It’s been a few months since I have used my camera at Chicago O’Hare International Airport let alone doing any planespotting here…. I am sure many of you have heard but I was away for a long time in order to finish up my college degree and now I am very busy studying to go into either air traffic control or airline dispatch.

As I study, I find that I don’t really have much time for plane spotting and making aviation videos but I do still try to make the rounds on YouTube commenting and hitting that “like” button for you guys as I can. Even so, I love watching airplanes so much that I knew I had to get back out there at least once more before the year ends to catch a few more of my airplane friends. I hope you will enjoy this video as I knock of the rust. Filming without a tripod (as I do) is not easy for sure and requires practice, practice, practice.

--------------------
    Takeoffs and landings for a variety of plane spotting action. Features mostly heavy aircraft (wide-body airplanes), numerous worldwide airlines and morning, midday and evening shots taken at Chicago O’Hare International Airport KORD / ORD. Notable appearances include the somewhat rare to O’Hare United Star Alliance Boeing 767-400ER, all 3 types of Emirates Boeing 777 (the Emirates SkyCargo 777F - UAE9245/A6-EFD - having flown 16+ hrs non-stop from Sydney International Airport YSSY/SYD to ORD for a rare daytime arrival) and a Royal Jordanian Boeing 787among many others. It was my first time seeing and catching this RJA beauty.

Thanks so much to all of you my faithful friends here on YouTube and elsewhere on social media like Facebook and Twitter for your interest. It’s my pleasure sharing my love for flight with all of you. Much appreciated!

Video Notes: Shown in order in which they appear -

Star Alliance – United Airlines Boeing 767-400ER 767-424ER N76055 / 0055 12/26/14 Arrival as UA#1256 from Los Angeles International Airport KLAX / LAX

United Airlines 747-422 747-400 N182UA 12/26/14 Departure UA#835 to Shanghai Pudong International Airport ZSPD / PVG

Royal Jordanian Boeing 787-8 JY-BAE as RJA#263 from Queen Alia Amman Jordan International Airport OJAI / AMM

Air India Boeing 777-337ER VT-ALR 12/28/14 as AIC#127 from Delhi Indira Gandhi International Airport VIDP / DEL

Qatar Airways Cargo Boeing 777-FDZ A7-BFG as QTR#8107 from Milan Malpensa International Airport LIMC / MXP

China Southern Airlines Cargo Boeing 777-F1B 777F B-2081 from PANC / ANC

Delta Air Lines 767-300ER 767-332ER N183DN, 12/28/14 (Later N186DN 12/26/14) Landing as DAL#123 from Charles de Gaulle Roissy International Airport LFPG / CDG

Emirates Boeing 777-300ER 777-31HER A6-EGE Landing 12/28/14 as UAE#235 from Dubai International Airport OMDB/ DXB

Cayman Airways Boeing 737-36E 737-300 VP-CKW as CAY#504 from George Town – Owen Roberts International Airport MWCR/GCM

AeroUnion Boeing 767-241ER 767-200ER (BDSF) XA-EFR TNO#500 from MMMX / MEX

Frontier Airlines Airbus A320 N213FR as FFT#1068 from Denver international Airport KDEN/ DEN, N205FR is FFT#8545 from Cancun International Airport MMUN / CUN

Emirates Airline Boeing 777-200LR 777-21H/LR A6-EWG 12/26/14 Landing as UAE#235 from Dubai International Airport OMDB/ DXB

Asiana Airlines Boeing 777-200ER 777-28E/ER HL7775 12/26/14 Arrival as AAR#236 from Seoul Incheon International Airport RKSI / ICN. Arrives twice as the same flight on two different days in the same video.

China Airlines Cargo Boeing 747-400 747-409F/SCD B-18721 12/26/14 Arrival (Landing) Takeoff (Departure) From (CAL5128)/(CAL5147) To Anchorage International Airport PANC / ANC

Qatar Airways Boeing 777-3DZER A7-BAO 12/26/14 (A7-BAK, 12/28/14) Arrival as QTR#721 from Hamad International Airport OTHH / DOH

Star Alliance – All Nippon Airways – ANA Boeing 777-300ER 777-381ER JA731A 12/26/14 Takeoff as ANA#11 to Tokyo International Airport RJAA / NRT

Iberia Airbus A340-300 A340-313 EC-HGV 12/26/14 Landing as IBE#6275 from Madrid Barajas International Airport LEMD / MAD

KLM - Royal Dutch Airlines PH-BFI 12/26/14 Landing as KLM#47 from Amsterdam Schiphol International Airport EHAM / AMS (PH-BFE appears later).

Etihad Boeing 777-300ER Arrival / Landing as ETD#151 from Abu Dhabi International Airport OMAA/AUH

(2nd daily) All Nippon – ANA Boeing 777-381ER JA777A ANA#1012 from RJAA / NRT

Cathay Pacific Airways Boeing 777-300ER as CPA#806 from Hong Kong International Airport VHHH/HKG

Korean Air Boeing 777-2B5ER HL7530 from RKSI / ICN KAL#37

Japan Airlines – JAL Boeing 777-346ER JA736J JAL#10 from RJAA / NRT Tokyo Narita

(1st daily) All Nippon – ANA Boeing 777-381ER JA732A ANA#12 from RJAA / NRT

Virgin America Airbus A320 (N851VA) Landing as VRD#232 from Los Angeles International Airport. N523VA is VRD#202 from San
    Francisco International Airport KSFO / SFO

United 747-400 N122UA Landing as UAL#850 from Beijing Capital International Airport ZBAA / PEK

Aer Lingus A330-300 EI-EDY 12/28/14 Arriving as EIN#125 from Dublin International Airport EIDW / DUB

American Airlines Boeing 777-200ER 777-223ER N781AN 12/28/14 Arrival as AAL#154 from RJAA / NRT

N127UA 12/26/14 Departure as UAL#851 to Beijing Capital International Airport ZBAA / PEK

United Boeing 757-300 (324) N74856 as UAL#1135 from Orlando International Airport KMCO / MCO

--------------------------
    Planespotting from Chicago O'Hare International Airport KORD / ORD 2014
    This video is the property of O'HareAviation Plane Spotting & Flight Tracking.
    It may not be used in any way without permission. © O'HareAviation 2014

ORD AIRPORT WATCH
    Chicago O'Hare Airport Crime Prevention Unit / Bensenville Police Dept.

Nice footages at a huge professional airport

Splendid, simply splendid!!!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Amazing footage!
    How do you film so steady without a tripod?

Thanks to all for the views and responses.

Amazing footage!
    How do you film so steady without a tripod?
    Practice, practice, practice truly is the key but having been planespotting now for almost 20 years (just introducing myself here, no boasting) I've learned a few tricks...
    1) Anticipate the aircraft's speed. Oftentimes folks are seesawing or zig-zaging back and forth when they follow the action.
    2) Relax yourself completely. Often when filming people tense up to try to keep the camera from moving. For me, I have found this to be counter-productive.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like patience and many years of practice is the key.
    I still find it amazing that you can pivot so well as the planes pass you

near ESS/EDLE, DUS/EDDL and CGN/EDDK, Germany
    Great video, nice perspective on the aircrafts.
    I'm not familar with the situation and the positions in Chicago, is there a reason for shooting with back light, like no better positions to shoot from? Because normally a photographer/videographer would choose to shoot with the light. But you do not go that way and great great results.

Thanks for the comment, Bangkok Airways.

There is indeed a reason for shooting backlit here. There is a lot of construction in the area and many roads and places that make spotting at this location pretty much what we've got for now at ORD for covering runway 28C. The east side of O'Hare (where this is) is dominated by lots of construction, highways, private property and traffic gridlock. You can't exactly film from the street corner. This location used to be known somewhat famously as "USG" named after the company that owned the property and very kindly allowed planespotters from all over to spot there. Back before 28C got built, landings for heavy aircraft were on 28(28R) and this is what it looked like.

Now with the new runway 28C built, aircraft arrive south of the USG parking lot location (the location has since changed hands to Wally Park Chicago, a overflow parking area for ORD passengers. The company has said nothing about not continuing to allow planespotters to spot there but I would warn against abusing the privilege). Many ORD planespotters gave up and left for other places because backlit pictures are no fun even though I think video can be an exception.

One of the places found was Delta Cargo and the ownership allowed members of the ORD Airport Watch to use their private property for a time. Here's a video or two from this location that I filmed.

Perhaps I'd better introduce something I am a part of called the ORD Airport Watch. It operates on a similar line to a neighborhood watch but it's for an airport. You may have heard of airport watches at Miami, MSP or PHX as well.
    ORD Airport Watch members are up-standing citizens (yes, a thorough government background check is needed to join as well as some other hoops to jump through) who simply assist the airport police with looking for suspicious airport activity and reporting it. We do training periodically to be of greater assistance. Unlike the police we don't make arrests and are not law-enforcement although we do have many former law-enforcement members. Like the police we can't be everywhere.
    The Delta Cargo location had public access if you knew how to get there and looked it up on Google Maps. Once a lot of pictures and videos started to make their rounds on Airliners.net and social media, quite a few un-invited non-ORD Airport Watch people started showing up on a regular basis. It wasn't long before a group of uninvited troublemakers (not photographers) littered excessively and even vandalized the property. Delta Cargo had to remove everyone and cancel all permissions to be on their property. There is a chance we will be allowed again in future once the new runway 28L is finished and there is greater security, however, but this is one of the cool things about an airport watch at an airport surrounded by private property. As you may recall, spotting on private property is against the law unless permission has been secured and being part of a recognized, police-associated organization helps give wary property owners more reason to allow "random strangers" to take pictures from their land or business.

There are several different places to film at O'Hare for various runways but this is the only good location to see touchdowns on 28C. There is one location to the south of the approach but there are so many buildings and trees in the way that it's not worth it. You also can't see the touchdown.

Thanks for your time. Sorry about the length of this post.
    -Jay
    Last edited by O'HareAviation; 2015-01-16 at 09:27 AM.