Thread: New Year's Day at JFK (Image Heavy)

New Year's Day at JFK (Image Heavy)

My girlfriend and I were able to make it out to JFK for a few hours on the way from Connecticut to Jersey on New Year's Day for some spotting. We spent the entire afternoon/early evening at Panera, leaving only after the sun goes down. We were extremely fortunate to pick up a handful of specials and having near perfect light all day long, and it was one heck of a day to ring in the new year. A small selection of the resulting images are as follows. It was great to see a few fellow spotters out there as well, great planes, great company, and great light made the day that much better. Without further delay, here's the jets.

Starting off the day right, with my girlfriend's favourite jet and airline.

The first of many twin engined international heavies... such a treat to those of us who don't get to spot JFK often.

AAL 767s seemed to be more common than I remember.

Having recently picked up a model of an AA 777, I was excited to get a shot of this one

A taste of Detroit spotting made it's way to NYC

Apparently this little guy has been elusive to some of the locals, glad I could add it to the collection, and even more glad I wasn't flying in it nonstop from Mexico.

I still can't get enough of the classic AA scheme, even though the new scheme grew on me quite a bit yesterday
    Last edited by captmjk16; 2015-01-03 at 01:10 AM.

I saw this jet at DTW back in March, this time I didn't have gates and GSE in the way

The two JetBlue specials

BA 744 Take 2

The two alliance special triple 7s came back to back

The moon stopped by for a few arrivals too

In the fading light the last truly shootable arrival of the day came over the horizon, just after sunset the Alitalia Expo A330 came in to cap off a great day.

Thanks for sticking through to the end. I wanted to say a big thank you to Jason and Roman for the heads up on the specials and for the great company out in the parking lot. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and thanks again for looking!

Quote Originally Posted by captmjk16 View Post
    Thanks for sticking through to the end. I wanted to say a big thank you to Jason and Roman for the heads up on the specials and for the great company out in the parking lot. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and thanks again for looking!
    My pleasure, and great shots! We need more moon shots like that :-)
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Great set! I'm really digging the moon shots!

"Great set! I'm really digging the moon shots!"

Going to quote Spinelli The prophet, I really enjoyed your set, especially those shots with the moon! Great set of specials and fantastic light!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Blech View Post
    Going to quote Spinelli The prophet
    #bromance.

Great shots, capt! Nice to see someone new enjoying JFK's offerings!
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Thanks guys! Glad I was able to make it out there, now it's a matter of finding time to do it more often.