Thread: Spotters Shooting Waterfalls

Spotters Shooting Waterfalls

I met up with Steve on Friday while I was in Nashville visiting my in-laws. We drove out to the sticks of Tennessee to shoot a couple of waterfalls. Here are the ones that I liked the best. Steve and I will make plans to shoot these again in the spring, when there are colors. While winter has some nice elements, I felt that these images could have really popped with some spring or fall colors.

Stillhouse Hollow Falls

This one was three images of different focal points. I used a technique called 'focus stacking' to get the log in the foreground tack sharp, as well as the fall.

Finally, my Superbowl shot - Rattlesnake Falls. Only a mile from the previous ones, this one has eluded me for two years. On my last trip to Mount Pleasant, TN, I drove around for two hours looking for an entrance to this spot. Later, after reading a few new sites since my visit, and speaking to a local, I learned that the fall is on private land. The POSTED signs are meant to exclude them from liability if you get hurt. We arrived to the very well hidden fall at 15:30. In Tennessee during the winter, it starts getting dark at 16:45. We walked for about 30 minutes looking for any way to get down the 200+ descent to the falls. I gave up after a while of trying to climb down over a 60 degree decline, when I realized that I had to climb up with my gear. Just as we were leaving, I noticed a trench that went almost all the way down. It was hidden in plain sight! The trench was a pretty easy descent. About halfway down, it turned into another very sharp decline, plus a nice ice cold stream to cross once at the bottom. I decided to go for it. It was well worth the climb down, and the exhausting climb up. This is another one that I want to shoot in the spring when the colors are green.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

Gorgeous shots! Can't wait to see the ones you take in Autumn

Very nice, Tim!

Thanks, guys! Spring has better colors, but winter has a better flow of water.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

Nice Tim
    On my way to shoot a waterfall right now. Does Niagra Falls count?
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Saw these last night on Flickr, still like them this afternoon, great job Tim! Can't wait to see what you and Steve come up with in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    Nice Tim
    On my way to shoot a waterfall right now. Does Niagra Falls count?
    Absolutely! I have never been up to Niagra.

Quote Originally Posted by captmjk16 View Post
    Saw these last night on Flickr, still like them this afternoon, great job Tim! Can't wait to see what you and Steve come up with in the spring.
    Thanks! I usually go to BNA a few times a year to see the in-laws. It'll be nice having a fellow photog buddy up that way to shoot with.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net