Thread: KC-46 Takes Flight

KC-46 Takes Flight

Today in Seattle the KC-46 took it's first flight, leaving from Boeing Field and heading to Paine. I'm interested to see how well the new remote 3D screen system will work out for the boom operator.

Pictures and information available at this link: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...ght-1675795011

Program Coordinator
    Just a note, its not the KC-46, it's a prototype 767-2C (also, headed from Paine to Boeing, not Boeing to Paine :-P). Missing lots of stuff!

I guess that's what happens when I post aviation news while keeping a far closer eye on the ferry fire over in the Med . Still, no excuse for me to get the airports backwards, I tracked the thing on flightaware fergodsake!

I did notice the missing boom, but I figured it may have just been being prepared for installation at a later date and not realized the jet was just a prototype.

EDIT: Just saw that Tyler added one of your shots Jeremy, good to see he's got the right source on images on the article!

It's sort of a prototype...the first two airframes (of four in the initial development contract) are being built in 767-2C without the boom or other military equipment installed, although they will have wiring and other provisions installed. These will be used for FAA certification under an amended 767 type certificate. Once that is completed, the boom and other military equipment will be installed, and they will be certified under a Supplemental Type Certificate. The second two frames will be build in full KC-46 configuration. All will ultimately receive the full tanker configuration.

Program Coordinator
    Admittedly this is a slightly confusing one!

That is a good looking airplane! And I'm glad to see they aren't going to have that bump on the forehead for the receiver refueling set up.