Thread: USA Trip

USA Trip

OK 2 choices

1.Phoenix and Tucson for Superbowl (is it decided whose there yet?) Would there be an influx of traffic to PHX similar to SDF at the Kentucky Derby?
    Any recommendations for other airports to visit around these Airports?

or.

2. Miami

Not into numbers, only pics

Any offers much appreciated

Andy

Hi Andy,

Kentucky Derby will look like a normal day compared to PHX/Scottsdale for SuperBowl. It will be 1st week of January before it's known who will be there. but Arizona are through to the playoffs. Just got to hope they get knocked out at some point or there will be less traffic.

If you're going to do Miami you're best bet is to go for boat show weekend in mid February. Hotel prices are higher but it's worth it. The advantage of Miami is you also have Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach as well. Plus a lot more airliners than if you do Super Bowl which is mainly biz.

Thanks Mark, am tempted back to Miami having been there in the 1980's, Cockroach Corner et al. There is an aviation tour group over for the Superbowl so this just made me think twice.
    Have a good xmas all
    Andy

If I were you I would select the Miami/West Palm Beach/Opa-Locka/Fort Lauderdale trip option! At MIA, you get to see a nice variety of planes arrive from one of the world's best spotting areas known as The Holes! You get to see any plane type in both passenger and cargo types unless you are looking for a DC-8! For that, there is Opa-Locka. Opa-Locka is an Executive airport that features a few classic types like the An-12, 707, DC-3, and DC-8. For some biz jet action, there is Fort Lauderdale Exec and West Palm Beach. WPB has another good spotting area and the Peter Nygard 727 and the Donald Trump 757 are pretty frequent. Last of all, there is Fort Lauderdale International. Fort Lauderdale gets some only-in America airlines like Allegiant, JetBlue, Frontier, Spirit, and Southwest. This airport also gets Norwegian Air Shuttle, Condor, Azul, and TAME for some heavies! The Saudi medevac A342 is also pretty frequent!

Andy cockroach corner is long gone! You're right about thinking twice about Super Bowl. I presume you're referring to Aeroprints, who are the biggest idiots in the spotting world. If you choose Miami don't forget Tamiami as well. Mainly tins but you do get some biz in there as well as the Jetstreams on maintenance or being parted out. It's not that far from MIA, just make sure you have a GPS or similar function on your phone, I always get lost when going there!

Markg - thanks for the tip Miami it is then. Shame about Cockroach Corner I was hoping there had been a time warp since my last visit.....
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/plane_...57623706296419

I've not heard any bad feedback from Aeroprints I'd love to go on one of their trips but no $$ - the trip I did to USA many years ago was with a firm called ALPHA MIKE TOURS, Houston, San Antonio, Pensacola, Miami with Cockroach Corner very much the highlight!

In the end I flew EMA-CVG-DFW then drove to Houston and flew sub load to LHR primarily due to the flight times meant hanging around for ages had I wanted to go CVG-MIA.
    With the benefit of hindsight the wrong choice as the weather at DFW was dark and rain, and Houston wasn't much better. Combined with 2 days in bed with man flu it was pretty much a disaster.
    Few highlights on my flicr https://www.flickr.com/photos/plane_...k/16199805264/