Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Jones Beach Air Show: May 23 - 24

Oh Well. ISP Tower now saying Media Flight canceled.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    Thanks Ken. Did they do the tactical pitch up and landing? IF so they must have been tight to the airport as I never heard them. Or did they come in one at a time on a long final? I heard tower say that one may be going up later for a media flight. This was right after the C-17 departed. Is the SCPD chasing people away or are they being nice?
    I was at the beach and the first 3 headed to ISP just before 4:30 and the other 3 departed the beach between 4:30 - 4:40.

My daughter and I saw the first three come in together and they turned and broke right over us....As we were getting back into the car we saw at least one more returning....As for the SCPD - we didn't get hassled but then again we happened to time it right and we were only there for a few minutes before the Thunderbirds came in. (I also must say we were in a private lot along side the airport we didn't go to the fenceline). We did walk over to the Liberty Air hangar <Im pretty sure it as Liberty air- it has been a long day lol> when we first got there (where the Thunderbirds are parked) and were summarily dismissed...

Ken

By the way a friend of mine said he saw a sign that the Thunderbirds were going to be at SUNY Farmingdale at 900am tomorrow...Does anyone know what for? Is it something for the aviation students there or is it something for the general public?
    THanks

Kn

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    Thanks Ken. Did they do the tactical pitch up and landing? IF so they must have been tight to the airport as I never heard them. Or did they come in one at a time on a long final? I heard tower say that one may be going up later for a media flight. This was right after the C-17 departed. Is the SCPD chasing people away or are they being nice?
    I was parked on Railroad near the south end pretty much on the approach path to 24. Realized that when the C-17 came right at me!!
    3 Thunderbirds came in low and FAST then circled to land. Maybe 10 later a single came in left bank to 24 and 10 after that a flight of 2 roared past then they circled to land!!
    Went over to the airport and parked in the area just east of Liberty. There were other people there and not a sign of any PD or anyone else. That was a pleasant surprise. Might be different this weekend when more people show up. Got some great views of the TBirds and the C-17 was idling.
    Soon after the C-17 taxied down to 6 then back taxied to 24 and went right up!! Just awesome to watch that big ship pull up using barely any runway. After that I headed back west, it was a long day!! Surprised the TBirds went up again the weather wasn't that greeat with lots of rain to the south and east.

I know it is a bit late, but I have my Frequency Lists and Live Feed setup again on my website. I can't believe I've been streaming the audio for 10 years now.
    The frequencies are at http://www.w2lie.net/airshow and information on the live feed can be found here: http://www.w2lie.net/apps/forum/foru...opic.php?13382

Enjoy the show everyone!
    73 - Phil / w2lie
    http://www.w2lie.net
    Long Island Live Scanner Feeds and Forums (Air Show Scanner feed is on the "Special" Stream!)

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    By the way a friend of mine said he saw a sign that the Thunderbirds were going to be at SUNY Farmingdale at 900am tomorrow...Does anyone know what for? Is it something for the aviation students there or is it something for the general public?
    THanks

Kn
    Here's the info on the Thunderbirds visit to SUNY Farmingdale tomorrow :
    http://www.farmingdale.edu/news/news...derbirds.shtml

BTW, I'm not sure if all the Thunderbirds pilots will be attending the SUNY Farmingdale visit because
    they also have a NYC Flyover Photo Mission scheduled between 10:30 - 11:30 tomorrow morning,
    so they'll probably be taking off at ISP between 10:00 - 10:30AM.

Here's the details of their scheduled NYC Flyover Photo Mission from NYC.GOV:
    Notification issued 5/21/15 at 3:15 PM. The US Air Force Thunderbirds are scheduled to conduct a flyover photo mission tomorrow, Friday, 5/22, from 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM, over various areas around NYC. The event will consist of six F-16 aircraft in addition to the aircraft taking photographs. The F-16's will maintain an altitude of 1500 - 2000 feet. The aircraft will travel westbound from Long Island over the water near the south shores of Queens and Brooklyn before turning and navigating north over the Verrazano Bridge, and up the east side of the Hudson River to the Tappan Zee Bridge. From there, the aircraft will turn around and travel southbound over the west side of the Hudson River to the Verrazano Bridge, before traveling northbound up the east side of the Hudson River to finish their route. The rain date for the event is scheduled for Monday, 5/25 at 9:00 AM.
    Last edited by Chris S; 2015-05-21 at 08:57 PM.

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

But first, before I land, let me take a "selfie"

Nikon or Canon???????????

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    My daughter and I saw the first three come in together and they turned and broke right over us....As we were getting back into the car we saw at least one more returning....As for the SCPD - we didn't get hassled but then again we happened to time it right and we were only there for a few minutes before the Thunderbirds came in. (I also must say we were in a private lot along side the airport we didn't go to the fenceline). We did walk over to the Liberty Air hangar <Im pretty sure it as Liberty air- it has been a long day lol> when we first got there (where the Thunderbirds are parked) and were summarily dismissed...
    Yes you couldnt get near the Liberty hangar unless you had the right credentials!! The fenceline just west of Liberty on Smithtown Road was roped off and patrolled by youngsters in military fatigues!! I was also in the private lot and it was great no one was bothering anyone and great sightlines for pictures of the aircraft!!!!

It got real dark and started raining as they came in today so the shots aren't very good. But, it is good to see some fast movers back in the area. I love this time of year!!!

Thunderbirds arrival for 2015 Jones Beach Airshow by Tim Asbell, on Flickr

The first group was T-Bird 1-3, followed by 4 & 6, then followed by 5 & a single extra jet.

Not sure what this guy was in town for but saw him on final to ISP shortly after the last of the T-Birds arrived.

EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Tim, I heard that C-130 was for Fleet Week support.

I got "behind the rope" at Liberty hangar, doing some shooting for Sheltair.

I was able to meet Lt. Colonel Chris Hammond, commander and lead pilot of the team.

As always Moose, excellent shots!

That C-17 took off in less than 1000'! I'm sure that makes some 135 fly boys jealous! ;) *EDIT* Upon further video review, it was ~1700 feet, Tanker Drivers can breathe a sigh of relief...

that makes sense that the 130 is here for Fleet a week as it looked to be a Marine Bird. I saw him parked over at Excel on Wednesday.

I'm going to hit the beach today to beat the crowds a bit.
    Last edited by Big Tim #70; 2015-05-22 at 09:27 AM.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!