Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Jones Beach Air Show: May 23 - 24

Nothing official, but I've been hearing JFK...

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Nothing official, but I've been hearing JFK...
    Yeah thats what Ive been thinking!! No buzz around the airport and not even a recon flight by a TBird and the show is 3 weeks from Friday!! Too bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Yeah thats what Ive been thinking!! No buzz around the airport and not even a recon flight by a TBird and the show is 3 weeks from Friday!! Too bad!!
    We pilots based out of FRG would also have gotten a NOTAM regarding a Runway 14-32 closure for installation of the arrestor system by now. No such NOTAM has been released. Not saying it won't, just in the past they already had set it up/tested it.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I've not been to a show that featured the T-Birds or Blues where they weren't the closing act.
    I was at one. The 2007 Gathering of Mustangs and Legends at Rickenbacker Field in Columbus OH. The 'Birds flew 2-3pm, with the show wrapping up at 5pm with a mass flyover of Mustang's.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

I got confirmation that the T birds will be based at ISP with either a C130 or a C17 as their support a/c.

Quote Originally Posted by sdspinelli2 View Post
    I got confirmation that the T birds will be based at ISP with either a C130 or a C17 as their support a/c.
    I wonder if they will be parked where they usually keep the F-22 or somewhere a bit more visible?

Any word on if the F-18 will still be based out of FRG? I just recently moved to the area and I'm bummed the T-birds won't be staying here this year.

Know it's a requirement for the Thunderbirds, but why do they need arresting gear? They don't have hooks right?

All of the fighters have the hook. On the F-16 it looks like a lipstick on a wire. F-15's, you name it. They can not land on a carrier as it would probably not be sufficent strength and will probably break. But if it held it would likey Screw the airframe so it will never fly again.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblVgm5x-Ng
    Video of the F-16 arrestor
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

The F-18 should be based and Shelt Air

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    All of the fighters have the hook. On the F-16 it looks like a lipstick on a wire. F-15's, you name it. They can not land on a carrier as it would probably not be sufficent strength and will probably break. But if it held it would likey Screw the airframe so it will never fly again.
    Wow, can't believe I never new this. Thanks, always assumed arresting hooks were Navy/Marines for carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by sdspinelli2 View Post
    Maybe they could let the Breitling Jet Team park at the Terminal since the TBirds wont be there.

So much for any meet and greet with the Tbirds huh...

Ken

They could have a meet & greet at Islip.