Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 2015 Thunder Over the Boardwalk Airshow

How is the Pier? It's free for practice day, but I want to go in the water so badly. Which one is better?

Quote Originally Posted by TriStatePlaneSpotting View Post
    How is the Pier? It's free for practice day, but I want to go in the water so badly. Which one is better?
    I tried the end of the pier last year for the TBirds and the only reason it wasnt crowded was because it started to rain!! The TBirds only flew for a little bit before calling it a day!! But Id rather be on the beach out in the open with the sun shining on me!! For me you get better visuals especially with the Angels who zoom all about!! I'll be on the north side of the Pier a ways down!! Thats where I 've been the last few years and really enjoy it AND I get to dip my foots in the water LOL!! BTW I heard the Pier is under new Mgt so its possible it won't be free tomorrow!! Some people have been speculating on FB but nothing definite yet!!

Updated flying schedule

11:50 AM – Airshow Tow Banner Flybys
    11:55 AM – Jim Beasley III – J3 Cub Flyby
    12:05 PM – LUCAS Oil Skydivers Flag Jump with National Anthem by Lee Greenwood
    12:10 PM – Mike Wiskus – LUCAS Oil Pitts Aerobatic Teaser
    12:17 PM – GEICO Skytypers – Tribute Pass
    12:21 PM – Jim Beasley Jr. – SNJ Texan Aerobatics
    12:31 PM – Jack Kelly – Bell 47D1 Helicopter Flybys
    12:33 PM – AtlantiCare – Medical Helicopter Flybys
    12:35 PM – MidAtlantic – MedEvac Helicopter Flybys
    12:37 PM – Chopper 6 (WPVI – Channel 6 ABC)
    12:39 PM – New Jersey State Police Aviation Unit
    12:41 PM – Raiders Aerobatic Demonstration Team
    12:57 PM – Jim Beasley – P-51D Mustang Demonstration
    1:07 PM – US Air Force – F-22 Raptor Demonstration
    1:21 PM – US Air Force – Heritage Flight (F-22 & P-51)
    1:31 PM – GEICO Skytypers
    1:46 PM – GEICO Skytypers vs. Miss GEICO Speedboat Race
    1:53 PM – Matt Chapman Embry Riddle CAP580 Aerobatics
    2:08 PM – US Coast Guard Search & Rescue Demonstration
    2:23 PM – Mike Wiskus – LUCAS Oil Pitts Aerobatics & Skydivers
    2:45 PM – US Navy Blue Angels – C-130T Hercules
    3:00 PM – US Navy Blue Angels
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

We're there 2 Raptors flying today? Was coming down the AC Expressway and saw two jets flying!! Angels came on exactly at 3 but you could tell this was pretty much a practice for them but still enjoyed it!! It was pretty hazy out there and with the use of smoke and pretty much no wind the smoke hung around sometimes obscuring the aircraft!! Thought it was over but Fat Albert came in and did a number of nice climbing and high speed flybys!! That was cool!!
    It will be hot again tomorrow so dress accordingly and have water and sunscreen!!

FYI - This is what flew during the practice show today over the beach and approximate times:

11:25 - P-51 Demo
    11:35 - F-22 Raptor Demo (1 - ship)
    11:50 - P-51 & F-22 Heritage Flight
    12:10 - Blue Angels Diamond ( Circles & Arrival)
    1:00 - Blue Angels ( 6 -ship) and Geico Skytypers together for a Air to Air photo op further south of show center
    1:15 - Blue Solos ( Circles & Arrivals )
    2:00 - Raiders Demo
    2:20 - GEICO Skytypers Demo
    2:40 - Lucas Oil Jumpers circled by Mike Wiskus and then he practiced his full aerobatic demo also
    3:00 - Blue Angels ( 6-ship) Practice Demo
    3:40 - Blue Angels C-130 Fat Albert Demo

Thanks Chris!! Got to the beach right before the Raiders started their demo!! Gotta say the Angels flew pretty low around the buildings!! Haha I wasn't complaining!!
    BTW tons of vapor today with the Angels!! Even Fat Albert pulled vapor lol

Curious, I wonder if anyone walked over to the show? There are a number of hotels in walking distance and that would have been a great option!! Save $$$ on parking also!!

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    A few of my favorites from Sunday:

See the rest of my shots here.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Innes View Post
    Real Nice pics
    Thank you very much.

Good show as always, kept right on time with the schedule they posted.

No surprise aircraft as hinted at.

USCG Demo only brought in two ships and they went way to the right of show center.

Lighting was absolutely horrible, beyond description. Between the haze, the smoke, humidity and lack of a strong breeze it was brutal. Be lucky to find 10 keepers. Put the camera away for most of the show and just watched and enjoyed it.

Fat Albert crew tore the beach up.....................

Crowded but not the sea of humanity like other years. Got there at 11:45am, parked, was on the beach at noon, and from the time I got back to the car till I was out of the city was under 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    Good show as always, kept right on time with the schedule they posted.
    No surprise aircraft as hinted at.
    USCG Demo only brought in two ships and they went way to the right of show center.
    Lighting was absolutely horrible, beyond description. Between the haze, the smoke, humidity and lack of a strong breeze it was brutal. Be lucky to find 10 keepers. Put the camera away for most of the show and just watched and enjoyed it.
    Fat Albert crew tore the beach up.....................
    Crowded but not the sea of humanity like other years. Got there at 11:45am, parked, was on the beach at noon, and from the time I got back to the car till I was out of the city was under 10 minutes.
    Pretty much on point with everything you wrote!! The Angels were magnificent and from where I was standing, to north of the Pier just about in the middle on the shoreline the Angels flew over my head a number of times heading back over the city and somewhat low!! Have to say that was quite cool!! And yeah Fat Albert was amazing!! They hinted at it during the practice run but yesterday was wild! That one flyby when they came from the back and fast it looked like they flew between two hotels!!! And it was so hot they even pulled vapor! LOL!!
    Enjoyed the Raptor!! Boy it could be incredibly LOUD and quiet!! Very enjoyable along with their Heritage Flight!!
    For the USCG they always bring in two Dolphins but they would do the SAR demo closer to the Pier!! From my vantage point if I didnt have binoculars I wouldnt have seen much and I thought they would come around for a FlyBy after but they just headed out to sea!!
    Yes it was HOT!!! Knowing the schedule I left the beach during two of the acts and found shade behind the Boardwalk in a park by Ballys!! I have my Canon PowerShot which gets me what I want but found it very hard to shoot with yesterday so didnt use that much!! Actually got better pics with my iPhone 6 and took a bunch of video with it!!
    I stayed at Ballys in the Tower and had a great view of the beach and city to the north and there were lots of parking available even from the time I headed down at 11:50 and the Boardwalk didnt seem as crowded in the past!! I guess the later date and school open impacted the attendance! And too bad there was no live music!! Last year they had concerts on the beach by the Pier!! Charlie Daniels Monday, Tues cancelled due to rain and Wed right after the show Felix Cavaliere and the Rascals which was fantastic!
    Good way to end the summer!!

Am I the only one seeing the NYC air show threads mixed in this AC thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Am I the only one seeing the NYC air show threads mixed in this AC thread?
    Yeah, I see the two Air Show threads were merged together for some reason

I think they were trying to merge the "Coney Island" thread with the newly started "NY Air Show" Thread and misfired .......................