Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Thunder Over the Boardwalk Airshow

The Horsemen Flight Team have the Coney Island Air Show on their 2015 schedule also
    http://www.horsemenflight.com/

Any other information about this show?

Ke

Update: According to info posted by the Air Combat Command the show at
    Coney Island has been moved up to Stewart ANG in Newburgh, NY.
    That will definitely be a better venue than Coney Island !!

I believe the Coney Island Airshow has been cancelled and moved.

Yup. Chris you are correct.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Update: According to info posted by the Air Combat Command the show at
    Coney Island has been moved up to Stewart ANG in Newburgh, NY.
    That will definitely be a better venue than Coney Island !!
    You have a link for that?
    Not sure a better venue. Not a whole lot of parking or places to watch. Not that CI had great parking but closer and public transportation available

This is great news! I remember going to the show at Stewart in September of 1988. Great static display line up! It was the first time I saw a B-1 and B-52 up close. (Well sort of, behind the armed guards, but at least clear picture taking) Also F-111's from Pease NH. Great stuff. They had the show on the long runway and there was plenty of room for the spectators along that parallel taxiway where the statics were parked. Thunderbirds headlined that year.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    This is great news! I remember going to the show at Stewart in September of 1988. Great static display line up! It was the first time I saw a B-1 and B-52 up close. (Well sort of, behind the armed guards, but at least clear picture taking) Also F-111's from Pease NH. Great stuff. They had the show on the long runway and there was plenty of room for the spectators along that parallel taxiway where the statics were parked. Thunderbirds headlined that year.
    Sounds cool but where would everyone park? I've been up there a bunch of times and except for the grounds of the airport by the Terminal not sure where other parking would be.

I don't specifically remember the parking situation, but obviously it was taken care of as I vaguely remember driving in and parking on grass somewhere on the military (airport South Side?) side of the base. There was plenty of room that I recall. We were no where near the terminal. While the airshow was free, I do remember them charging a flat fee of $25 a car to park, regardless of how many people were in it. Back in those days airshows were what? $5-$8 pp tops? I also remember (which was typical of airshows back then) being acosted in the parking lot by those people out in mass who would hand you a sticker and ask for a $5 donation. Had no idea what that charity was, but they always were in airshow parking lots it seems and they weren't associated with the show ever.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    I don't specifically remember the parking situation, but obviously it was taken care of as I vaguely remember driving in and parking on grass somewhere on the military (airport South Side?) side of the base. There was plenty of room that I recall. We were no where near the terminal. While the airshow was free, I do remember them charging a flat fee of $25 a car to park, regardless of how many people were in it. Back in those days airshows were what? $5-$8 pp tops? I also remember (which was typical of airshows back then) being acosted in the parking lot by those people out in mass who would hand you a sticker and ask for a $5 donation. Had no idea what that charity was, but they always were in airshow parking lots it seems and they weren't associated with the show ever.
    Moonies? LOL!! Thanks for the info! Of course that was 27 tears ago and we know things have changed!! As is i wouldnt have been able to go there or CI as we have a wedding in Philly that weekend but curious none-the-less!! I used to take my boys up there in the late 90s and hang out on the road overlooking the runways!! Caught some of those C-5s a number of times along with other military aircraft and were never hassled!!

The ACC has also updated their Air Show schedule showing that the F-22 Demo will now be at Stewart IAP on Aug. 29 - 30th.
    http://newpreview.afnews.af.mil/acc/...moschedule.asp

I know back in 2003 they used school buses to shuttle the people into the show from nearby parking fields and
    I believe they charged a separate fee for parking and admission. Anyway, hopefully they'll post info for the Air Show
    soon and that they'll set-up the show like they did in 2003 where you were facing NW with the sun behind you!

The ACC has also updated their Air Show schedule showing that the F-22 Demo will now be at Stewart IAP on Aug. 29 - 30th.
    http://newpreview.afnews.af.mil/acc/...moschedule.asp

I know back in 2003 they used school buses to shuttle the people into the show from nearby parking fields and
    I believe they charged a separate fee for parking and admission. Anyway, hopefully they'll post info for the Air Show
    soon and that they'll set-up the show like they did in 2003 where you were facing NW with the sun behind you!
    Yes, hope so. I'm planning on attending. I hope they expand the line up.
    --TSA.GOV website

Is there a website for this airshow?

Ken

The PANYNJ is the lead agency for the show now and I heard they should have a show update in a couple of weeks.

The PANYNJ is the lead agency for the show now and I heard they should have a show update in a couple of weeks.
    That's great news - maybe Chris Christie will be out setting up cones for traffic control...
    ;-)

BTW, here's the show's new FB page link and they should be posting an update around June 18th:

https://www.facebook.com/airshowny