Thread: Spotting in Houston

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar

Spotting in Houston

I have a business trip coming up in Houston and would like to work in a day of spotting. Can anyone recommend spotting locations at IAH and /or HOU ? Which airport would you recommend?

Thanks much!
    -Don B.

It's been a few years since I was there last.
    Check out this forum: http://www.houstonspotters.net/
    If nothing changed, you can shoot from the garage at IAH, but you must call ahead and let them know how long you will be there, and what type of vehicle you have with you.

There are some gems at HOU, but you need some local knowledge for the spotting localse.

Hi Don,

I am a Houston resident and spotter here. Check out the website mentioned above. The spotting resource you should find useful is http://www.houstonspotters.net/resources/. Call the airport security at 281-230-1300 if you shoot at IAH. You will have to let them know you're shooting at any of the locations in the guide. They will ask your vehicle info, license info, and how long you will be there. You can usually just tell them you're roaming around various spots throughout the day. Also, Rankin Road is a good spot for departures. It's a big ass hill that overlooks the 15's. Below are a couple sample images I got from this spot. For IAH, you will want something flexible, but with a lot of reach such as a 70-300 at a minimum. The Rankin Rd spot requires a bit more reach. Most folks have a 400mm minimum at that location.

Winter is good when they are using 15's

Most of the time, they are taking off towards you.

The garages offer some pretty good views as well. If you ever seen anything from, or shot at PHX, it's the same above viewpoint. I haven't shot at a garage at IAH in over three years, but here is something from 2011. Wow, just looking through my old stuff, I can see just how far I have come in my shooting.

HOU Hobby Airport

I work at Houston Hobby airport, so I am extremely familiar with the spotting locations. There are two approved aircraft viewing areas. One is off of Telephone Road, and you can see the approaches to 12R. The other is off of Monroe Blvd, and you can see the approaches to 30L. Both offer extremely low passes as they fly over the fence on short finals. Depending on the day you are in town, if you want to shoot at Hobby, I would be happy to shoot with you. I would just have to make sure my schedule at work is clear. Here are some of my recent shots from HOU. At both spotting locations, you can get by with a lens between 100 - 300mm and get close shots. Shoot me a private message about your travel details and maybe we can coordinate a trip. I can probably even meet you up at IAH and see if a few of the other local shooters want to join.

This is a shot from the spotting location off of Telephone Rd, at the 12R location.

Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

Love the picture of the HPD MD 500. Interesting they have the Nightsun and FLIR hooked up to the side of the cabin. Wonder if pilots have to compensate for that extra weight on the side while flying?

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Thanks everyone. Will check out that spotting link for sure. My flight is in and out of IAH, so thanks for the heads up on security protocol for the garages. IAH it is. Oh, and great set of photos Tim!
    -Don B.