Thread: Reminder: Do Not Sell Your Videos on NYCAviation

Reminder: Do Not Sell Your Videos on NYCAviation

When everyone registered on this site, we all agreed to the following:

"No unauthorized advertising is allowed on this site. Any that is found will be removed, and the offending party may receive an invoice from NYCAviation."

I love, and want, people to post videos on our forums. I love taking coffee breaks and sitting back to catch up on the videos that people post here. There are members here that don't interact in our community in any other way other than just to post their [good] videos, accompanied by zero words, and I am ok with that! Bring it on...we like the good videos.

But when people are posting them along with links back to another site, urging people to buy their DVDs and telling them where they can be purchased, I take issue. That is, by definition, advertising. Since NYCAviation runs on advertising (and my only personal financial infusions, though that's no one's business), I take exception when people create their own unauthorized advertising. It is theft of our advertising service, it also cheapens the value of existing ads AND upsets advertisers, making them less likely to desire to work with us.

Much of this is common sense, but it needed to be explained to a member recently, who was apparently unaware what advertising was.

I am sorry to interrupt your experience to discuss the violation of one member. I am addressing this here because, though 100% of this person's 5 posts on the forums were advertisements, this member is someone that some of you have met and are friends with on Facebook. If said person was a bit more accountable and less interested in brushing off the issue, it would have turned out much more positively.

Please let me know if you have any questions, in public or private.

Thanks,

-Phil
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Please let me know if you have any questions, in public or private.

Thanks,

-Phil
    Most pathetic part of this post...LOL....
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras B. View Post
    What's pathetic about it? A website and community like this doesn't appear out of thin air; it takes the work and skill of certain people to administer it and arrange for its ongoing funding. If you don't appreciate that or don't wish to abide by the participation and funding model that this website uses, the Logout button is at the upper right, and there's an X in a red box just above that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    What's pathetic about it? A website and community like this doesn't appear out of thin air; it takes the work and skill of certain people to administer it and arrange for its ongoing funding. If you don't appreciate that or don't wish to abide by the participation and funding model that this website uses, the Logout button is at the upper right, and there's an X in a red box just above that.
    Guy was offering for sale Aviation/Spotting related DVDs, which didn't interfere with any advertising I've seen on this site. It was kinda memorabilia offering. A lot of forums do have Buy/Sell subforum, where participants can offer for sale(of wanted to buy) anything related to site. In this case: photo gear - cameras, lenses, binoculars, aviation memorabilia - new/used items.
    If someone was offering for sale a lense and site had an ad let's say from B&H - that would be interfering with advertisement. I haven't seen any advertisement that offered DVDs could be interfering with. according to this OP, A.net and jetphotos tread shouldn't be on here too - some people sell their photos thru these sites. One way or another, I've been paid by some airline too.

As for offering me to leave this forum(if I don't like something on here), I'll take into my consideration. I have talked/spotted to some that are no longer on here. Some spotters have told me that it was totally different forum before.

And...Mateo, it was nice meeting you past sunday while spotting. I think, you're a great guy, a real spotter.
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Mateo, I don't think you really know the meaning of the word. Look it up. It's not that bad... I know most have misinterpreted the word since they could utter it but in reality, it is as simple as sadness... nothing more. No need for drama.

That being said, Gintaras, how do [you] mean it? Maybe you also do not have a sense of what the word means? Maybe you meant to convey a stronger negative opinion?

My position has been, is and always will be: When in someone's house, quietly abide by their rules. Exit quickly and quietly when unable to comply!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Excellent words of wisdom Manny!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

along with links back to another site

I find this thread hilarious, also Ironic since Phil used to do it constantly on anet.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Greed kills you .....

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    I find this thread hilarious, also Ironic since Phil used to do it constantly on anet.
    I never went to another site and urged people to buy a product or service. No idea what you're talking about. Posting a link back to an article on Anet forums (and far from constantly, all were topical) is very different from advertising.

What happened here was someone posting links implying a direct intent to sell items. That makes it an ad.

Guy was offering for sale Aviation/Spotting related DVDs, which didn't interfere with any advertising I've seen on this site. It was kinda memorabilia offering. A lot of forums do have Buy/Sell subforum, where participants can offer for sale(of wanted to buy) anything related to site. In this case: photo gear - cameras, lenses, binoculars, aviation memorabilia - new/used items. If someone was offering for sale a lense and site had an ad let's say from B&H - that would be interfering with advertisement. I haven't seen any advertisement that offered DVDs could be interfering with. according to this OP, A.net and jetphotos tread shouldn't be on here too - some people sell their photos thru these sites. One way or another, I've been paid by some airline too.
    The difference is that the site being linked to was a business that makes money. A person selling a lens privately is fine, and it happens here and is fine by me. A person linking to another website who has no relation to that site is also not interfering. With that, the company in question here actually does pay for advertising elsewhere. They also agree with me that what was on this site was not appropriate.

Linking to Anet and JP is fine with me, because no one is linking to them operating as a business, nor saying "BUY MY PICS!!" or anything of the sort. The variable is whether it is a business or not, which puts them in the same category versus other businesses that pay us to advertise, which is how the site exists.

Ask those that work in online advertising for a living, and they will agree that such unauthorized advertisements cheapen the value of the ads. Also, advertisers that see such things can get upset and lose interest in advertising here if they see other businesses doing so for free.

Your way of expressing a different point of view comes off as rude. Though I know you couldn't care less.

Greed kills you .....
    Not sure what you're referencing.

Your way of expressing a different point of view comes off as rude. Though I know you couldn't care less.
    We all are different and we all do express ourselves different online and while in person...We all do make sometimes mistakes...I might didn't like someone say something to me online, I might have been not so nice to anyone else...but I haven't had such problems while meeting in person - while spotting...

I would say, prolly all spotters I've met while spotting - are 100%(well, maybe 99.9%) nice...

In the whole community, there are 3 people that I specifically do not like, but those are for specific reasons, and that is out of literally THOUSANDS of people.

Nick and I clash ALL THE TIME online, but he's one of the most fun people to hang out with socially.

Who [is] Nick V? He must be a real tool in person!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Who is Manny. I might ask him for some ID

Nick and I clash ALL THE TIME online, but he's one of the most fun people to hang out with socially.
    I am not hanging out with you till you shave that beard! #fearthebeard
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    No, only on-line. ;-)